Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission [problem

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rich01, May 5, 2003.

1. rich01

rich01 Registered Member

ive got an 84 m1009. the transmission lately has been having trouble switching gears and now it wont switch out of 1st gear. is there anyone out there that could tell me what you think is wrong or how much it will probably cost to fix. thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

check your vacum.

does it not shift out of first at ALL. Or does it just shift really really late. Mine shifted really late and it was my VRV. Vacum Regulator Valve. One way to tell if its your VRV is to get the HOSE that goes from your MODULATOR and CONNECT directly to your Vacum PUMP thats located in the same place a distributor on a gasser is.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Does it have a TH400 or a TH700?

I was under the dash on my Burb and accidently snagged the TH400 kick-down switch while bundling some wires up out of the way. After that it wouldn't leave first gear. Good thing I figured it out before I started taking tranny out (Doh!) /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well it could be what they said, but most likely when it doesn't go out of 1st, it's the governor, and since it was giving you simptoms before it went out, I would say it is sticky, and it's not opening up fully.
    I also have seen several times the gears on the governor striped, they are plastic so they break easy.
    Check the switch if it's a th400 then check the governor, it's easy pop the cover off and take it out and see if it opens and closes smooth.

5. rich01

rich01 Registered Member

its a th400 but i dont know where any of that [censored] is; like the kick down switch, VRV, or the governor cap, etc. i dont really know that much about my diesel.

6. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

the gov is on the pass side it lookes like an inspection plate cover and i believe it has 4 bolts holding it on. the kick down switch should be under the dash connected to your throttle linkage and the VRV i'm not sure i still havent got mine yet but i would check the other stuff first but its probably the gov so start there
    later,
    Jerry

7. rich01

rich01 Registered Member

also, since my blazer has been immobile, i have had something leaking from the axels. can someone help me with this.thanks

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Its got to be either brake fluid or gear oil.

9. rich01

rich01 Registered Member

i started it up again yesterday and it will no longer switch into drive. could this still be the governer??

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

You might wanna post this in the garage, more views over there.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i started it up again yesterday and it will no longer switch into drive. could this still be the governer??

[/ QUOTE ]

If it doesn't get out of drive it could be the governor.
    If it just doesn't get to drive then it's most likely the vacuum modulator, you could have a leak in the vacuum, or the canister is bad.