Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission question (700R4)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sosamantx, May 3, 2002.

1. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

ok, i've finally got the blazer running (sorta), but now the transmission is acting up (won't upshift unless you let off of the gas, and then it seems to go to 3rd of 4th?). anyway, i had this 1 guy check it out (a friend of a friend that does tranny work), and he said it needs to come out. my question to you all, does anybody have a shift kit in their transmissions?, and any pros or cons to having a shift kit in your rig?

my pics in case anyone is curious, i'll have to create a webpage later on and update it with what all i did! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

http://sosaman.home.texas.net/blazer1.jpg
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/blazer2.jpg
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/blazer3.jpg

2. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

the main thing here is to have your TV cable hooked up right. From the sounds of it it seems like you have to much tension on it. If your throtle valve is allready pressed in from having the cable too tight then it will cause it to start on 2-3-4 gear.

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

are you sure your tv cable(cable from transmission to throttle linkage) is hooked up, not broken, adjusted correctly? this cable controls the shifting of the transmission.

4. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

Ditto on the cable, put a shift kit in, you will like it. I put the street version in mine vise the RV. It comes in the same kit you just pick what components to put in.

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

the guy that looked at the tranny, drove it, and adjusted the cable somewhat, i don't think it was really out of wack to much? i am going to take it to this other tranny shop to get another opinion, but they want (worse case scenario) $1500-1800, whereas this other guy, said about $800-1400. anyway, i've always had a shift kit on my other vehicles, just was wondering about the blazer.

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

before you spend that much on a rebuild, checkout a GM factory Reman, i got mine for $1200 with a 36 month 50,000 mile warranty. a local shop installed my engine tranny and new xfer case for $860 labor and fluids. just a tranny swap should be a few hundred. or a raptor for $1500, just no GM warranty, but supposed to be a really well built tranny
    chris

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Unhook the detent cable and see if that's the problem. It sounds like that's the problem. This is what tells the transmission to disengage the torque converter and drop a gear.

I read your other posts and if I were you I'd go buy a remanufactured one from a local auto parts store and put it in myself. The most difficult part is getting all the bolts off varioius parts (especially the crossmember) and having a weekend to spend doing it if something goes wrong.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I was going to mention as well that if you get the same story from another shop, I would consider going back in with a Raptor. Search on this forum and you will find a link to their home page. Depending on where you are in TX, you can possibly go pick the thing up yourself and save the shipping costs.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just don't leave that cable off, you WILL fry a 700 quickly without it hoooked up.

10. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Everyone is correct about checking out the T.V. (Throttle Valve) cable. If you do need a new Transmission, I just put a new "Level 3" 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives <a target="_blank" href=http://www.700r4.com/sitemap.html>http://www.700r4.com/sitemap.html</a> in my 90 and I am very happy with it. All that Bowtie builds is 700R4s and ships them all over the world. I wouldn't go anywhere else. I also installed a 3 way switch and light on the TCC (Torque Converter) Solenoid so that I can disable Converter Lockup, allow the computer to control Lockup, or to manually force Lockup. The blue idiot light comes on anytime the Converter Locks. While I was at it, I install a new cooler and an AutoMeter Trans Temp gauge.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

700R4s don't have detent cables, they have TV cables. The TV cable functions like the vacuum modolator and cable of a TH 350 all in one...and the tranny will be fried in short order without it.

12. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

does anybody know of the site to the place that makes the raptor?? i've tried doing a search on here, but came up with nothing. of course i am impatient!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

anyway, i found this on lycos doing a search, but it looks like a distributor?? i'd like to actually go to their website if they have one?

http://transmissioncenter.net/All%20Transmissions.htm#700R4

13. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

that is the right place