Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Jan 24, 2001
    Not K5 stuff, just posting this for a buddy of mine...
    Here's the deal: '92 Pontiac Bonneville, 160K+ or so miles, tranny fluid is black(ish); don't know whether it's burned or else (particles?). He's trying to get another one or two years out of the car. Would you flush it, or would it be better to leave it alone since it seems to shift fine? If the tranny gets flushed, would there be a risk of actually having the tranny fail (sooner?) due to the newer fluids with detergent properties that would not only flush out current debris but also dislodge other stuff? Input is greatly appreciated, thanks, michael
  2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Apr 20, 2004
    Well all I can say is that if it were my car, I would do the flush.
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    His car sounds like a good candidate for one of those "vampire"tranny flushing machines they use at Jiffy Lube,etc--I've heard good things about that method of flushing the tranny,and they claim you dont have to drop the pan or change the filter(but I would!).They claim it really gets all the crud out.But any high milage tranny is at risk of failure if no maintenence was done,then you decide its time to be nice and start treating it like it was suppossed to be--same goes for old engines that didnt get regular oil changes,sometimes the crap loosens up and the motor goes to hell in no time.Hard to say which is best--a tranny flush is about 75 bucks around here--another tranny at the boneyard for that car isnt all that much more,like 150 bucks--its a toss up. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif