Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaunmcdee, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Shaunmcdee

Shaunmcdee Newbie

hello all, im fairly new to the 4x4 scene, trying to get as much info as i can.
    im about to purchase a 1985 k5 blazer for 1k
    problem is, the automatic transmission is shot.
    my question is concerning the transfer case and the tranny, would they both have to be removed so that i can get the tranny overhauled, or can the tranny just come out on its own?
    im still not too sure on which transmission it is either, lol
    looks like it could be the th350 or the 700, is there any VIN number decoders that i can use as a reference to find out which i have?
    sorry if these questions are a bit newbie-ish, im still trying to cram as much as i can :D

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Tranny work

The transfer case has to come off, but you can remove the tranny and the t-case together, then seperate them. (The tcase is bolted to the transmission)Now would be a good time to spend the extra 3 bucks and replace the seal on the transfer case. If the tranny pan is square, you have a 700R4, If it is square with one corner cut off, it's a TH350. Have fun!! :D

3. Shaunmcdee

Shaunmcdee Newbie

Thank you for such a speedy reply, i will have to check the transmission pan to see which tranny i have then. besides a basic overhaul should there be anything else i should look into?
    Shift kit perhaps?
    thanks for the info

4. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

What to do?

Just ask around and find a good tranny shop to do the work. Automatic tranny's are all such a mystery to most folks as to how they work, there's alot of tranny shops will tell you anything to just rip you off. Try this site and do a little reading.

www.bowtieoverdrives.com