Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stump_puller, Apr 14, 2002.

1. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

I am currently rebuliding my engine, so I figured that since I was already pulling out the enigine I might as well pull out the crappy 700r4. So I am going to replace it with a th350, my question is how should I build my transmission? One guy around town says I should put a manual valve body in it to make it last longer. But not sure, I don't mind to manual shift gears. Just wondering what you guys think. Engine will be a 383 stroker with about 400 horsepower and torque(maybe more)

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

if i was u, i would just start with the th400 and then strength wouldnt be that much of an issue. but dont get me wrong, u can build up a very strong th350 for a pretty penny. it just all depends on ur style of driving and what it will be used for

NITRO

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you are making under 300 hp, a th350 with minor hop ups can last. once the power is in the 300+ range, it just costs to damn much to make it live.

OTOH, i am a *FIRM* believer in "run whay you brung till it breaks, then UPGRADE" so if that is the case, a good th400 will outlast your truck.

price is also a consideration. Around here Nor-Cal, th400's go for about $150-200 more than a TH350. I am going with another TH350, personally, but am having it worked over.

i think i have only made this more confusing, but there is both side of the coin.

just my 2 bits...

4. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

I thought of that too, but I alrady got a th350 sitiing around the house. Figured I might as well use if I could. I will be mostly using the truck as a daily driver with moderate off road use(but when I use it I will use the hell out of it, no baby off raod for me).