Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muley, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I have a NV465 mated to a 208 t-case in my 85. While I love the granny gear, I would like an overdrive. A buddy at work said a NV4500 is basically the same trans, but with the overdrive. He said GM only put them in the 1 tons though. Anyone got any info, or done the swap?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

its not a nv465 its a sm465 do a serch on the nv4500 and you will find lots of info they are spendy to buy though

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I new that, just had a brain fart. Been up for way to long. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

For the price you will pay for the N4500 you canget yourself a Bowtie OD.....this is nicluding the insanely high core charge they will hand you. Though if you check the for sale boards, there are a few with NV4500 for sale or trade.

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

fr8train, please expound on the Bowtie OD? I assume it is a transmission. Does it have the granny gear?

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

for about $1500 plus some driveshafts you can get a new Ranger III from Advance Adapters that goes between your existing tranny and bellhousing.
    that would allow you to split each gear.
    they used to offer an electric shift option but it doesnt seem to be listed anymore.