Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stylzz, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Ok this is a little hard to explain but here goes. I have a TH350 and sometimes when I am driving along in 3rd at around 1800rpm and I try to accelerate gradually the transmission feals like it is up shifting and my rpms drop down to under 1500. This really bogs down the truck and I have no power. If I get on it and give it more than half throttle the rps jump right back up and it pulls right along fine. It feals like the truck is shifting into another gear but too soon. I try to do this on the highway but it only seems to happen when I am cruising around at lower rpm's, under 2000. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the stock transmission, then you likely do have the TCC. I'm assuming it operates like the later trannies, try disconnecting the plug on the drivers side of it, and see if the problem goes away.

Of course, no plug, then it doesn't have TCC : )

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would also check the governor, it's under the cup on the driver side.
    I don't think it's the vaccum actuator but I would check that one too, they are all esay to check.
    If you don't know how let us know.

4. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I unpluged the plug on the drivers side and the problem continues. I dont know what to check for with regard to the governor. When it bogs down it only does it when I try to accelerate gradually while I am in the lower rpm ranges of 3rd gear, under 2000. I'm thinking it could have something to do with the kick down. Because when I hit the gas harder, more than half throttle, it kicks down to second and there is no problem.
    Joe

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That's why I thought you should check the governor.
    Take it out and see if it's moving freely or it's sticking.
    The way it works is by inertia, so if it's taking faster revs to open, it would do that.

6. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I have never taken one out before is there any trick or will I understand it when I take the cover off?

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Take the cover off and slide that thing out, it's that simple.
    When you have it off just try flipping it up and down and look for the valves movement, it should feel seemless and smooth.

8. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Ok on side feals fine but the other sid seams to have some kind of hang up in it. When I push it in and release it with my finger on it I can feal where it feals like it is fetching up. Is this what I am suposed to be doing?
    Joe

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK if you look at it there are some soft springs on the two ears that flap, if you're feeling the spring pressure that is fine, if you feel like there is a ridge and it;s sticking on it, then you got your problem right there.
    you can also change the shift points with different weights and spring rates on the governor.

10. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Yea its only on one side and it happens when it is about half way released. It feals like it is bumping something, there is a slight hesitation in it releasing. So I should replace it?

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I would start looking at the Quadrabog. Sounds like a bad accelerator pump to me. Take the air cleaner off and look down the primaries. You might have to hold open the choke. Give it full throttle. You should see a stream of fuel shot into the mains when you give it gas. Don't go nuts pumping the throttle if you see the shot then crank the truck to keep from flooding it.
    No fuel squirt means the accelerator pump has screwed up. The rubber diaphram will sometimes pull off when they are old.
    The reason this will cause it to die out is when you crack open the throttle your not moving enough air to create the vacuum needed to get the fuel flowing through the main jets. The accelerator pump covers that task. Higher RPM's the mor vacume that will hit the mains to get them on line faster and the problem is not as pronounced.
    It probably bogs if you just floor it from a stop also.

12. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Ok tried to test the Accelerator pump and didnt see any fuel squirting. I could smell it but didnt see it. I have done this before and seen it maybe a couple months ago, so I will try again tomorrow morning and see what happens. About the governor, does it sound shot? Its starting to look like I might have two things causing the problem.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nevermind /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif sounds like you found it. Govornors are usualy pretty solid peice but we are talking about a 20+ year old part.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you had it with the ears on the sides and you're pressing on them simultaniously and you feel you re hitting an obstruction then yes I think it's wearing out, it has a ridge.
    I would replace it.

15. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Thanks for your time guys, I have to wait till tomorrow to fix it because the good local parts store with the owner that knows everything about Chevys closed 25 minutes ago. I dont want to go to Auto Zone because they are a bunch of dips, and NAPA would probably cost a ton.
    Joe

16. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

How does that work with the dips at Autozone? They are the same here in Omaha. Where do they find these people?