Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Sep 11, 2000.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Which transmission of these 3 is the best:

TH350
    TH400
    TH700R4

What is the difference between them? What makes one better then the other? I just found out I have the TH700R4 on my truck. Thanks

2. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

from what i've seen, and heard...the th400 is the strongest, and you can't kill it, the th350 is the next toughest..but no OD for these 2. the 700r4 has OD, but it is said to be the weakest, especially from something like 80-86?......i think those years, anyway, you can make a strong 700r4 with the jet buildup, or a rebuild with stronger clutches, and other replaceable parts. others know much more than i, but that is a brief summary. hope this helps...
    Kelboski

3. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

The th 400 is the strongest of the lot if your'e talking no mods. I had one in an olds and it took tons of abuse. The 4L80 E is pretty much a 400 with OD. They came stock in alot of bigger stuff, (motor homes, etc...) But the jet t-700 is the end all, be all if you want a bulletproof slushbox. They aren't cheap though, 1500.00 or so.

"who dares wins"