Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tkjimmy, Oct 31, 2000.

1. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member

Hello again. Just put my tranny back in after friend down the street rebuilt it for me. He said he put in a shift kit, but man does it shift hard into second gear. It is a 700R by the way. I took it to my other friend at the GMC dealership to adjust the TV cable and set the shift points, and it still shifts really hard. He is gone for 3 months in the military right now, and I can't ask him exactly what he put in it. The reason I am concerned is, is that it is getting icy and the snow is on the way and the hard shift will put me into a spin if I am not careful. Any suggestions for me? How hard is it to pull the shift kit out, and what would I put back in? Any help would be great. Thanks.

tkjimmy--Wa. State
    http://tkjimmy.coloradok5.com

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I know on some of the shift kits there is a little drilling of the valve body in the tranny. I think they make a oil passage hole bigger and also install different check balls also. So if they drilled it, I don't know if it can be put back to normal. But, I am not sure what tranny application involves drilling. Maybe yours doesn't.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It might be something as simple as having to backoff your kickdown cable to compensate for the shift kit. It's probably still set up for the tranny without the shift kit. I'm not quite sure how it's done, but I know it involves a clip tab somewhere near the carb........

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Actually the shift kit gets away from the passenger car syndrome. Without the shift kit, when the shift point is reached, first and second actually mesh together then first releases. With a shift kit, first releases and at the same time second grabs which gives you the impression that it bangs. To take one out, depending on if he modified the valve body by drilling holes or by just replacing the springs in the valve body you'll need to find out which of the two or both he did.

5. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will wait until he gets back to see exactly what he did.

tkjimmy--Wa. State
    http://tkjimmy.coloradok5.com

6. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

You may have a Corvette servo piston installed in your trans. When I bought my rebuilt 700, it did not have a shift kit in it, but it had a very harsh 1-2 shift (due to the Corvette servo). I took it to a transmission shop and they put a stock servo in and I now have stock shift points.

Casey 86K5

http://86blazer.coloradok5.com