Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bruiser, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Well I have search and hunted and can't figure this out. I have to replace the tranny in my blazer(cooler line wore and front driveshaft while playing in snow and pumped all fluid out burnt it up). Can I buy a tranny say from JEGS (ask about this because you can get a 2.75 first gear TH400) and just changed the output shaft (if it is needed)? Or do I have to purchase a tranny specific for a Four Wheel drive. The way GM shares everything else would think just the tailshaft is different. Anyways I digress. so? Thanks for any answers.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Aside from the truck cases being thicker and the output shaft being shorter, car and truck 2wd or 4wd are the same. YES, you could purchase the tranny from Summit or Jegs and then take it all the way apart and install the 4wd output shaft then put it all back together again. Just remember if your existing tranny is a 4x4 case then the converter inspection cover will not bolt directly to a 2wd case. This thick aluminum cover helps to strengthen the case.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And the guys that own the 208's/241's can perhaps clarify, isn't the converter shield on the 4wd models also threaded to accept the support brace(s) that run to the t-case?

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

waht about the 6 or 4 bolt hole case?
    i got a 6 bolt hole cse, i have seen 4 bolt hole case.
    is the 6 bolt hole case a k case? mine has a p and a t on it. also has a few locations that i think would be great for making a truss...
    one tab on the back abofe the output, and one on each side just behing the BH.
    grant

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

waht about the 6 or 4 bolt hole case?
    i got a 6 bolt hole cse, i have seen 4 bolt hole case.
    is the 6 bolt hole case a k case? mine has a p and a t on it. also has a few locations that i think would be great for making a truss...?
    one tab on the back abofe the output, and one on each side just behing the BH.
    grant