Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevytruck75guy, Mar 16, 2003.

1. chevytruck75guy

chevytruck75guy Registered Member

hey,
    i am new to the board and building 4x4's(only 17 years old). my 1975 k10 has a bad turbo350 in it. i was looking threw the trading post for a new one so a guy at my work can rebuild it and noticed alot were sayin that it was a short or a long shaft. what exactly dose that mean? one other thing, i can take a 2wd tanny take off the end shaft and put it in my 4x4. right? sorry it the questions sound dum but i am still learning about these things.
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First of all, welcome to CK5. Pleasee take a momment to fill out your profile. It'll help us help you. Who knows, there might be someone in your area with a tranny for sale. If you have someone that builds trannys, maybe you should have him just rebuild the one you already have.

3. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

ok first off welcome. secondly the short and long shaft are for the tail shaft of the tranny(part the drive shaft yoke slips over. thirdly i am not positive on this but i don't believe that you can use a 2x tranny in a 4x ok hope this helps. also like Z3PR said just rebuild the one you have its a good tranny to build cheap.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You can't *just swap* output shafts, you have to take the trans completely apart to do it. The first thing that goes into the case when assembling it is the output shaft. "Short" and "Long" shaft do refer to the output shaft used. In the 4x4 case, the length of shaft is determined by the tcase and adapter used. For a 2WD, you just need the right tail housing and output shaft for the drive shaft length.

5. chevytruck75guy

chevytruck75guy Registered Member

thanks on the answers. i would use the same tranny but he case is crack so its pretty screwed. i work for a ford dealership training to be a tech and i got the transmission guy in there to give me a good deal on therebuild. now i have a good idea on the type of transmission i can get, thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif