Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tankntwankies, Jan 28, 2004.

1. tankntwankies

tankntwankies Registered Member

i've got a 77 k5 and it just revs in reverse.. could that have anything to do with the t-case? cause i have problems getting it to drive in anything but 4 hi...or will i need to put a new tranny in it and if so what is a good choice for a tranny

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

That post is kinda broad ranging. Assuming you have an automatic, it sounds like its toast. Although you could have some trash or something sticking up a valve or passage.

For an auto tranny, I would go with a TH-400, for a manual, depending on preference, go with a SM-465.

With a little more information, someone or myself may be able to help you a little more. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's really hard to help when ya didn't mention what transmission you have.
    An automatic in reverse usually the foreward clutch and low/reverse band are applied.. So if you have slipping issues in like foreward gears 1, 2 or 3rd gear the foreward clutches are probably burned, the way to test the low-reverse band would be to manually shift it down into 1st gear, then accelerate up to about 20-25 and let off the gas- you should have engine braking in 1st gear and it should slow you down by letting of the gas if your low/reverse band is working...
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    What tranny? Any other problems? The ONLY complaint is -No reverse?

4. tankntwankies

its got an automatic th350 right now

5. tankntwankies

its done this before...but when i added transmission fluid it shifted into reverse fine.. but this time it wont work that easy. the only other problems i have is it doesnt seem to drive either direction in anything but 4wd