Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I have recently finished a 14b FF swap and now have 4.10 gears. My tranni is a TH350 and I would like to get one with overdrive.

I know the 700 has overdrive, but it seems that the 700 tranni's are weak, and I definitely don't want a weak transmission in my truck.

Are there any other transmissions with overdrive that will bolt to my np208 T-Case?

Thanks,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Built correctly, the 700 won't break unless you put something like 750HP or so. The '88 up's are the core 700's you want. 88's are easily distinguished by a half moon casting mark that extends through the oil cooling fittings on the side of the transmission.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

My 88 has the 700 in it. I had a local dealership's transmission man build mine and beef it a little. It has a B&M shift kit, corvette servo and a bigger valve body. Shift kit took care of that sloppy 700r4 shifting. It has taken some abuse to date. The only mistake I made the first time was not putting a cooler on it. It is a must. I drove long trips to the beach this summer with no external cooler and roasted the tranny.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

4. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I have been doing a little research on 700R4's lately, here is some information you might find helpful. 700R4 case is two inches longer and so is the output shaft. You will need a different adapter for your t-case and probably need to relocate your cross member, along with different drive lines. I'm putting in a 205 case, and have a 700R4, so I was thinking of just using the adapter from Advance Adapters to mate them up. The transmission shops I talked to recommended just swapping out the 700R4 for a TH350, unless I want to spend $1300.00 on a built up 700R4, which is not as strong as a $500.00 built up TH350. Since I just did a lift/axle swap and wanted new drive lines any way, I converting to a TH350. For what I do, I don't care about overdrive, but I'm sure I'll miss the lower first gear.

good luck!
    elkboy

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I like my 700R4 and its overdrive plus its nice low end. It was built buy TCI and can handle anything I can put up to it. Ran me shy of $1250 plus shipping and a cooler. Bear in mind I am not going to stick some 700hp+ mountain mill to my truck and go after everything in Moab. If you are going after moderarte numbers under, 550 hp, there is no reason not to go with something that can give you some nice highway mileage. Plus in my experience its the ujoints and shafts go before a tranny on the trail, thats me though. I dont want to offend anyone or seem like I am shouting. Its just this bashing of a good tranny for a daily used truck is out of hand. And if your tranny has melted down and your running the improper gear ratio etc. its your fault not the trannies. Again no flames started just had to get it off my chest.