Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by berg76, Jul 6, 2006.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Im pulling my transmission this weekend. Its slipping pretty bad from 2 to 3rd and is making some nice noises. Im going to have it rebuilt stock but I want to do one or two upgrades. Maybe a shift kit from TCI TCI-376000? And maybe 2nd gear servo? What do you folks recommend? Ofcouse my budget is limited...

:confused: ~jason

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a 378900 rebuild kit which comes with the 376000. I also used the Jet 2nd and 4th apply servos and the 4th gear mod that holds 4th until around 3/4 throttle.
    It shifts pretty firm using the HD set up. (it can be set up for HD/towing, street strip and strip i think).
    I'd like the down shifts a bit smoother to be honest but you can't have it both ways!
    I've got a lock up problem at the moment but I think this is a control problem not related to the TCI kits.
    I also used their 242820 HD/RV converter which is really nice. I had one of their Saturday night truck specials before but the stall was way too high for me, around 2300-2400rpm where as the RV one is same or lower than stock.

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

im selling an overhaul kit with kevlar 3-4 clutches/steels and a heavy duty sunshell. everythings brand new. let me know if your interested.

id definately use a stock stall converter. the kevlar 3-4 upgrade is a good one. ive seen the stock sunshell twist nearly in half behind a 4.3 v6. id upgrade that if funds allow.