Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission rear seal flooding t-case...???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burbinator, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I noticed a while back that my slip yoke seal on the rear of my transfer case was leaking a little. When I pulled the driveshaft off, it promptly deposited about 0.5 quart squarely on my garage floor. I checked the transfer case level and it was overfilled (my thanks to the previous owner). Squared that away and my U-joints, saving the seal for another day.

Last weekend I replaced the slip yoke seal, and the transfer case was overfilled again. Due to my transmission now being a little low, I am deducing that a seal separating the transmission and transfer case is allowing fluid to enter the transfer case, especially since my new seal is leaking a little after being dry for two days.

Anyone have a similar problem? If so, how big of a job is it to fix it?

TIA!

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

My buddy had the same problem with his 350/205 combo, only he caught it too late. The "excess" fluid in the case went out the vent and then the trans would refill the t-case untill there was no more fluid in the trans. No fluid= dead trans. It isn't that hard to change on the 208 or 241 though, you can just undo the 6(?) bolts that hold the adapter to the t-case, the t-case shifter, the 4wd indicator light wire, both drive shafts, and then drop the case. Then it is good ol' screwdriver to the rescue! Pry out the old seal and pop in the new one and then reassemble. Voil'a! Sounds a lot harder than it is. Should only take about 2 hours tops in the driveway.

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Leaking rear seal is par for the NP208C. I've gone as far as to put two in, along with a new bushing in the tailshaft, same old story. Having transmission fluid come out the rear when you pull the driveshaft is normal again. Thats why so many don't like a slip yoke. Breaking the rear driveshaft means leak city. How do you know its overfull. Full is just up to the top of highest plug.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

your aluminum case should be a lot lighter then my 205.
    I seem to knick that seal everytime I wrestle the case up into place.
    I now put the adapter on the case and lift them up together, guess the 205 wasnt heavy enough for me

5. Burbinator

Thanks for the info! I was fairly sure that it wasn't that difficult. My 241C shouldn't be that heavy , but I'll recruit some help just in case. My 4L80E is a fresh rebuild with less than 5K on it...don't want to burn it up!

Thanks again...

6. Burbinator

I'm sure it's overfilled because:
    A) Fluid poured out of the top plug initially
    B) I squared away the level recently
    C) Fluid pours out top plug again and trans is about a quart low

Thanks for the check, just the same...

7. Burbinator

I'm debating on a slip yoke eliminator right now...

...know a good source?