Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission: Rebuild or Buy New???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott73, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

'87 K5 with 700r and 33" tires with 4.10 gears. Reverse is gone and i need to either rebuild or buy a new one, any suggestions. The Blazer is my daily driver. I'm planning on adding a transmission cooler either way I go.

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

If you have the funds go with a new GM trans. You'll get a factory rebuilt trans with 3yr/50,000 mile warranty and that goes wehter you or anybody else installs it. Also if it breaks down on you, you can go to any GM dealership and get if fixed for nothing.

They usually go for around 1300.00 though.

Eric.

89K5/14FF/D60/2-1/2"Superlift/1"ORD BD/More coming!!

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Most tranny shops get close to $2k to rebuild that tranny. Just about cheaper to go with the Factory one.
    I don't have the link on this computer. Bud just puked a tranny on his burb. GM has a amped up tranny that goes in Police version Tahoe's with a 2300 RPM stall converter. I think it's a 4L60 so you would need a controler for it and that aint cheap. Tranny goes for $1600.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

maybe if the OD isn't a big thing to you after I blew up my 4th 700R4 I found a 1 week old TH400/241 frmo a junkyard for $700 - $200 for my old 700/ rebuilt 208. So $500 for that much more of a tranny and t-case and it bolts all right up too. Just an alternative path. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

As a daily driver you probably need the overdrive. I had my 700R4 rebuilt for 2300, suposedly heavy duty high performance. I not too impressed with it. Had it back a couple times for warrenty work. When this one goes i intend to do either a 4L60E or a 4L80E, and i dont care whats required to do the swap. I know you have to find a 35 spline t-case for the 80, i dont know if you need that for the 60. I think they are computer controlled but I was reserching sites that sell them and i didnt see anything about having to buy a computer and they do talk about it being an upgrade from 700R4s. Anyway, this wont be a cheap upgrade but it wont be a whole lot more expensive then rebuilding your 700. Just my two cents.
    Ike

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Buy a new GM tranny. Dont rebuild that 87. The new trannys have all the upgrades the 88 and newer got. If you rebuild yours, Who knows what you will get.
    Or you might want to look into one of these:700r4 Trannys
    They build good trannys and know a lot about 700s
    I also highly recomend you get a new torque convertor And flush out the system good.