Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission rebuild or replace?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by furdaddy, Apr 29, 2004.

1. furdaddy

furdaddy Registered Member

My transmission needs a rebuild and the estimate is $1000. The question is, should I upgrade it?

For wheeling, would I be better off replacing it with something better? Or if I have it rebuilt, are there any mods or upgrades I should have done while they're in there?

I considered changing to a manual, which would be my preference, but that's a pretty involved process and there doesn't seem to be any real consensus that it's superior. So, I think I'll probably stick with an automatic.

I hate to admit my ignorance, but I don't even know what's in it (and it's at the shop so I can't even look at it right now). It is a 1974 Blazer with the towing package and a crate 350.

Thanks for your advice.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, if you are looking to replace or rebuild, and are fairly comfortable learning new things, *I'd* suggest trying to rebuild it yourself. That old, any auto in a GM truck will either be a TH350 or TH400 if stock, so easy to rebuild as auto trannies go either way. (TH350 for a K5 your year)

I don't think a manual trans swap is difficult at all once you find a donor...your trans tunnel unbolts, the dimple should be in the floor for mech. clutch if you decide on that, frame should be setup for it, column would be a bolt in, etc.

I like manuals, but I can understand not wanting to convert. Of course, you see why with that $1000 rebuild quote why I like my manual. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nothing is foolproof, I'd wager a bet though that 10 auto trans and 10 465's back to back in the same conditions, the 465's would last longer.

I don't think there is ANY doubt that a 465 is the superior transmission, but ONLY dependent on conditions! If all you do is drive the road 200 miles a day, the 465 will last longer IMO. In probably ALL conditions it will last longer, but it isn't ideal for everyone and everything, so thats pretty hard to quantify.

Whoops, didn't mean to turn this into an auto vs. manual discussion. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've rebuilt the TH350's, TH400's, and TH2004-R's (4 speed OD) and the 350 and 400 were pretty darn easy. Lots of pieces, but not that bad if you do one thing at a time. Had really good luck with them too, only one that is still owned is in a 1 ton truck and has probably 50,000 miles on it. All the rest were sold still running as well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know I have more to learn about rebuilding, but it really isn't rocket science. Compare an exploded engine view and auto trans, and you will see both look very complex, but once broken down in your hands, aren't that hard to comprehend.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a th350, good tranny....pull it yourself to save money, have a shop rebuild it with a shift kit, put it back in, and drive it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Who in Phoenix told you 1000.00 bucks? I just typed phoenix transmission into google and in the first 3 links I found one for 475.00 plus 200 core for 4wd trans (th350) here : (623) 936-1500 www.phoenixhardparts.com

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Swapping to manual shouldn't be all that hard. If you can find a donor truck cheap enough you'll have all the parts you'll need and see how and where everything go's. But if staying with a auto, you should be able to get a used transmission for alot less then $1,000.00 !!!

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Does that $1000 include removal and installation??

I hope so.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Does that $1000 include removal and installation??

I hope so.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Even R&R'd that is too much. Most shops charge around $300 or so to R & R a 4wd tranny. $400-450 sounds about right on the build....

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[quoteEven R&R'd that is too much. Most shops charge around $300 or so to R & R a 4wd tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

The shops in this area charge $300 for a 2wd removal and inspection and $425 for a 4wd.

And here I thought everything was more expensive in California.

I know a guy who will build a TH 350 for you for $325. I'd say that $675 to R&R that tranny is quite high.

9. furdaddy

furdaddy Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments, sorry I haven't been around to answer questions for a few days.

Yes, the quote does include R&R. And, in fairness, it was more of a ballpark number than a real estimate. Still, thanks for pointing out that it sounds high. That's the kind of judgment I need help with.

I don't hear anybody suggesting a different automatic transmission. Does that mean you all think I should stick with the TH350 (if I don't go to a stick)?

10. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    The th400 is stronger but not a direct switch with a th350. Go with the th350 unless you have a realy strong motor or driving style, then go th400. Goodluck, and the more you do yourself the cheaper it will be. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I am rebuilding my first tranny. I started tonight and all I have to say is, I have wasted thousands of dollars on previous rebuilds. This 3 sp. tranny stuff has to be the easiest thing I have ever tried. Hell I had more headaches with carbs /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif The best thing is that with a new pump and a high end rebuild kit, I only have $230 bucks into it. Of coarse I couldn't stop there and I upgraded a few other parts that have increased the rebuild to about $675. I will soon be running a th400 with a new converter, new pump, premium steels and clutches, new 34 element intermediate sprag, and Art Carr full manual reverse valve body ($350ish alone /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you are not up for tackling this job yourself, you can definately find a cheaper route. My last TH350 cost me about $550 including tax with removal and installation. That was for a 4x4. They needed work and didn't charge much for the R and I.