Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission: Rebuild vs. GM Remanufactured

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott73, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

Other than the warranty, What's the difference? People around here say the rebuid is just as good ($700 - $900 with a warranty of 6 months/ 6,000 miles to 9 months/ 9,000 miles. My question is if it's just as good why is the warranty so little compared to GM? I know GM is a going to run me $1500 to $1600 installed, but is it worth it?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think you answered your own question. Any place that will only stand behind their work for 6 months or 6,000 miles, obviously doesn't think that their trannies will last much longer than that. Those shops are great if you plan to get the tranny fixed and then sell the truck right away. But if you plan to keep it, go with someone that will stand behind thier work. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Brian85gmc

Brian85gmc Registered Member

check out peterson's , they got an article in the tech section about rebiulding the 700 "yourself". They got a video, and say it's pretty simplified. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

that will cost you around $300 and teach you some stuff!

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

been down the local shop rebuild on the 700 and it cost me about 1k and lasted about a year. then went the GM crate, and it toasted after 6 months, and they installed a new one last week under warranty no questions asked no charge, and told me it is ready to be picked up as of today. cost for the unit $1200, and it is a pretty easy install.
    warranty even if they do not install is 36 months 50,000 miles parts and labor. they just require the install of a new flex plate
    good luck

5. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

who did you go through to get that??? I am looking for a new tranny with a warranty. the last guy I talked to said he would not warranty a 4wheel drive!!!! rat bastard. did they do work on the t-case???

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

local GM dealer
    talk to the parts manager, and ask for a copy of the warranty procedures from their manual. most of the counter guys will tell you crazy stuff like that, but GM requires them to warranty all their parts. cant recall, but i think they are refered to as "SEMA" parts. like crate motors and trannies.
    they did not do any of the labor, but i did put in a new Xfer case from boyle? maybe
    when i carried it back for the warranty replacement the service guy that handles your job called and said GM would cover the new tranny, but i would have to pay the labor, and i said WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
    GET ME THE PARTS AND SERVICE MANAGERS OUT HERE NOW!!!!!!!!!
    the parts manager came out and said sorry for the confusion but this guy was mistaken, and everything is covered.

7. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

just ordered my GM tranny yesterday. Shop around. Local GM shops I guess charge what every they want. 1st place wanted $1778, next was $1466, keep checking and found it for $1250 (actually found it for $1244, but a 100 mile drive was worth $6). Big difference in prices in a 45 mile area.