Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by maxq15, Jun 1, 2001.

1. maxq15

maxq15 Registered Member

Well, after 190,000 miles, my 700R4 finally gave it up. I just had to have a soft overhaul and not real happy about the expense, but in the grand scheme of things, it's alot less than making payments on a characterless new vehicle.

Question: what future preventative maintenance would help me get the longest lfe out of my rebuilt trans?

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Running a cooler, and installing a drain plug kit or get a deeper pan with the air fins and the drain plug.
    this way you can change the fluid on a more regular basis.
    I have been changing the tranny fluid every 3000 and then swapping the filter out at the 10,000 mark.
    With the drain plug it makes it super easy versis the old way.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI

3. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

where do you install the drain plug? and wouldn't it be wise to change the filter? I changed mine out when I first got it.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I think you can go 25,000 on tranny fluid and the filter. Putting a drain plug in it is a good idea cause it's a big ol PIA when you're pulling the pan and tranny fluid is running in your face and down your arms and stuff.
    Anything to make the tranny run cooler will help. The finned pan will help, but mostly the cooler will help. I noticed much firmer shifts when I put mine on right away!

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

5. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

See if a shop in your area has a T-Tech machine. This thing rocks. It blasts 14-16qts through the entire system (cooler, lines etc) to clean it all out before replaceing the ATF. I've seen POS trannys get "reborn" after a t-tech session. Definitely worth the expense IMO.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

6. maxq15

maxq15 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I replaced the original pan with one that has a drain plug in it and am having the transmission cooler installed next week. I will see if I can find a T-Tech machine in my area, sounds like it would be worth the search.

Thanks!!

Those who think money can't buy happiness don't know where to shop.