Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, Feb 25, 2004.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Is rebuilding a automatic tranmission really that hard? If you have a detailed book, is it feasible for a common peron? Thanks for any input. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what tranny? the th350 and 400 are fairly easy but the 700r4 is a little more difficult

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually most I've done (TH350, TH400, TH200-4R) are pretty simple. Difficulty is usually dealing with the springs (compressing them for reassembly) and getting the low/reverse clutch pack out of the TH350.

Also, make sure you've got the right tools...(dial indicator for instance) to build a tranny the way it should be, the proper clearances need to be set before it all gets bolted up. ATSG service manuals are pretty good, but a GM Service Manual for the same year should be just as good, if not better. You'll need SOMETHING that gives you the right measurements. ATSG sometimes has bad pictures.

I had really good luck with a transmission video that showed a teardown/rebuild. The one "trick" the guy showed in the video saved me enough hassle to make the tape worthwhile.

4. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

I did my 400 myself.I just read the manual threw a few times be for I started. I didn't have any problems. The small stuff I put in labeled zip locks and the large parts on card board in removale order with its name next to it.That way I could clean/service each part one at a time.I was probibly a little anal with the labeling but at least it worked when I was done. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=garage&Number=881675&Forum=&Words=transmission%20rebuild&Searchpage=0&Limit=2500&Main=881083&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=9&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post881675

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=611727&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

Yep... I used a ATSG manual.. Get a big table, lay out a bunch of newspaper... Keep everything in order the way it comes apart and it should go back together just as easy...
    You shouldn't have to force anything together, if it doesn't go together somewhat easy it isn't right.
    Measure input & output shaft endplay with a dial indicator before you tear apart the tranny... then make sure its real close to the same when you put it back together.
    You'll need a good assortment of picks and small screwdrivers to get at the snap rings.. An inch lbs torque wrench for the valve body. Possibly a clutch hub compressor tool.. Transmission assembly goo works good for keeping the check balls in place, or keeping thrust washers in place when re assembling.
    [​IMG]
    I also put in a B&M stage 2 shift kit in my k5's th350.. it shifts damn nice and crisp.. no slushbox shift feel anymore. barks the tires a lot of the time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Th350's and 400's are pretty easy, the th700r4's are a bit more challanging!

Good luck dude!

6. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Hey guys thanks a ton... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif