Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zooexhibit, Apr 29, 2003.

1. zooexhibit

zooexhibit Registered Member

Hello all I am planning to replace my existing sm465 manual transmission with and 3 speed automatic transmission. I have been looking around and so far I have been told that I should use a rebuilt th400 turbo because it will mate right up to my transfer case, whereas the th350 would require me to rebuild/modify the transfer case. I have also been told parts would be about 900 dollars, but to have it installed could be as mush as 2500 dollars. I was also told that I can do this replacement myself without to much difficulty. I consider myself to be a rookie when it comes to auto repair. I wonder if anyone can confirm the information I have recieved so far, and does anyone have any pointers about doing this replacement. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If your Tranny is the original one for your truck then your T-case will not bolt up to a TH-400. Your SM465 should have male 10 spline on the back of it while a TH-400 would have 32 spline female. Your best bet is to find a TH-400 with a t-case already mounted on it.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like somebody is out to bend you over. You could most likely do a trade deal with somebody on this board for most of the stuff and then its time spent.

4. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

If you're talking about the 72 K5 in your profile, the 465 should be a 10 spline output if connected to a 205 transfer case. I believe all T400 were 32 spline output, but Advance Adapters can sell you the need adapter. If you have a 205, it will be 10 spline input. But you could have a Dana 20 also. Not sure of spline count with these.

5. zooexhibit

zooexhibit Registered Member

Sorry I do have a np205 transfer case.

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Why replace it? Your not going to gain any gas milage by switching to the 3 speed auto, and the sm465 is WAY stronger.