Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Replacing - 91 700r4/np241

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Dec 8, 2005.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I found a tranny at a yard today which appears to be in good shape but it has an np208c hooked to it. Question of the day seems to be whether my np241 will bolt up to the 700r4 from the yard ? The tranny from the yard is coming out of an 88' K5 Blazer.

Some other less important things would be ....if someone knows the wrench sizes for the torque converter bolts, upper bell housing bolts and the center of the crankshaft bolt or nut sizes(so i can tourn the motor over to access the other bolts) . Its about 20 degrees up here in maine so the less time i spend fumbling with the wrong size wrenches ect the quicker i can get out of the cold and get this back on the road :)

any help is good help :)

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the 241 will fit on the 88 700-r4 the bellhousing bolts should be 9/16 and the torque conveter should be 14 mm

3. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Yes, your 241 will bolt right up with no problems. Just replaced my 208 with a 241 a month or so ago. Don't remember what sizes everything is though.

Eric

4. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

bolts right up ... as long as the input shaft has the same spline count ... which in your case is correct :laugh:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bring tools..

The torque converter bolts might be 15mm on some trucks!--might put a bunjy cord or bolt a box wrench onto the tranny bellhousing,over the coverter in the tranny ,so it wont fall out when you pull it..

Also,if you plan to swap in the NP241 in place of the NP208,you'll need the shifter and its linkage,they aren't the same as the NP208..I'd buy everything from the flywheel back to the driveshaft,just in case(and keep the bolts if possible!)-..and thank your lucky stars its not MINUS 20 instead of 20 above,like it is in many places today!..:eek1:

6. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

the crank bolt will be 5/8 but i wouldnt rec. turning the motor with it had one stip out that way. try using a flathead screwdriver in the slots where th torque converter bolts go through