Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Sensor install Location on 700-R4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mav2u, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Mav2u

Mav2u 1/2 ton status

I would like to install a transmission temperature gage in my truck. Where do you install the sensor to get your readings. I was looking at getting a nice Autometer 2" gage to stick in my dash, on the left side where the small gages are.

I assume you would have to drill into the trans pan or something, but I don't like the idea of doing that, exactly. Is there a company that makes a pan with a sensor mount already on the pan? Is there another location you can mount the sensor? Any info is appreciated..

TIA,
    Mav

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

On mine I really wanted both the temp sensor and a drain plug. I installed a drain plug kit I ordered from Jegs and when I went to install my temp. probe I found it had the same threads as my drain plug. So I stuck my probe into the drain plug hole. Works nice and only leaves one hole to worry about ever leaking.

he he. . . He said probe

he he. . . He said hole.

Shut up beavis!

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

soem trannies like in california for some odd reason had a pressure or temp sensor installed from factory, they have two metal flat spade connector. i think this was mostly or only th350 though, at least thats what ive seen them on are th350 trannies only, so far

4. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

If you're looking to buy a new pan, Mag-Hytec sells some pretty nice pans. The one for the 700R4 increases fluid capacity by 3.3 quarts, has a drain plug, and a temp. sensor port.

5. Mav2u

Mav2u 1/2 ton status

I think that is something I might be interested in doing. How much is there stuff, and where is a good place to purchase it from, price wise that is.

Are there any other companies that make a product something like this?

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just was looking on their website and it seems the 700R4 pan isn't available yet, at least there is no pricing on it and it says something about coming soon. In case you looked and didn't see it there it is the same as a 4L60/4L60E

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Check my "Modifications" album in the Webshots page linked in my signature. That should give you a good idea of what I did.

8. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

The 700R4 pan is the same as the 4L60E. I just bought one about two weeks ago but haven't installed it yet. I bought it from Mag-Hytec located in Van Nuys, CA. The price was $240. It's not the cheapest pan you can buy, and there are imitators of it out there, but everything I have heard about their products has been good. I believe Off-Road or Four Wheeler magazine did an article on them as well, if I find it I'll post it.

9. Mav2u

Mav2u 1/2 ton status

I'll have to check our 4 wheel parts since they have a location in Jacksonville, FL... Pretty close by for me. Now to go shopping for a transmission temp. gage from autometer.

10. Mav2u

Mav2u 1/2 ton status

I found just what I needed, Autometer makes a Transmission Temperatur Manifold for the Temp gage. I found it on Summit Racing, here is the link... Autometer Transmission Temp. Gage Manifold

Now I can buy any ole pan I like with a drain plug on it. So any suggestions for a good sturdy tranny pan with drain plug option? Maybe something in Aluminum and under $100 bucks...?

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif