Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission shift kits?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UPS, Mar 4, 2007.

1. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

Do you have a shift kit if so what kind and why?
    I am thinking of a B&M Transpac for my TH400 is this a good option? If the lever is in first gear will it hold the trans in first gear, or will it let it shift up like it does now?
    I use the truck for mud runs, trail rides, and I driving it on the road some.
    It will have a 400 SB, TH400, NP205, detroit locked 14 bolt, detroit locked Dana 60, 4.56 gears, all riding on 38.5 X 15 - 16.5 boggers.

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I used TCI Trans Scat (TH350). Drag raced it in a '77 Nova; now its in my '85 K10 Burb. I can manually shift and hold 1st and 2nd, plus auto shift around town. I shift with a HURST Promatic2 (truck).
    That select gear is perfect for climb and decent.:D

85.jpg

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

In my blazer I have a 400 with a full reverse manual valve body. In my crew cab I have a B&M shift kit. I setup it up at level two which is a little more aggressive then the level 1. I like it because it bumps the line pressure up which correlates to less slippage in the transmission which is always a good thing in an auto. And I also like the firmer shifts, which means little less slippage in the tranny. For me, with auto transmissions a few things that are necessary are a large trans cooler, deep pan, temp gauge, and a shift kit.

4. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

Anybody else have one?

Mike

5. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I have a rebuilt th350 from advance. It is their "heavy duty" tranny with heavy duty internals for "towing and offroading" and shift kit. It's not real snappy like some that I've heard of, but it lets you know when it's shifting. The tranny weighs a little more (seemed like 20 to 30 lbs) than my old th350 did. I don't know if it's because it's "heavy duty" or if it's my heavy duty imagination. At any rate $650 for a rebuilt tranny with 2 year 24K warranty, I'm not complaining.

6. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

I just bought a B&M transpak kit.
    I hope it works good.

Mike

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My current B&M shift kit works as a full manual when I drop it into 1st gear but in drive will perform like a normal transmission with firm-er shifts. So far I have only drove it up and down the block but it seems decent, not too extreme. Would be great for a DD.

I had a full manual valve body in my old rig and it was insane. If I got on the gas I could bark 38's when I shifted from 1-2 and 2-3. Neck snapping shifts, almost too much for street driving. I would have to let up on the gas before I shifted to reduce the whiplash effect. I personally thought it was cool as hell. Another cool thing with the full manual is it deletes the vacuum modulator and kickdown cable so less stuff to worry about.