Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission slipping is it rebuild time?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k2-k5, Jun 3, 2004.

1. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Drove my 1st Gen to work today. 1st time I have had it out in awhile. Half way to work the transmission started slipping. In drive it will move but only by over reving the engine. 1st and 2nd seem to be ok right now. Fluid level is ok. No idea how many miles are on the transmission. Any suggestions before pulling it and getting it rebuilt? It is a TH350

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It only slips in drive,not in L1 or L2??.I've had a few TH350's that acted like that when the modulator valve's vaccuum hose came off(bad valve can do the same also).If it feels like the tranny goes into neutral when you let off the gas in drive,and coasts freely,then feel like it goes back into drive when you give it more throttle,this may be the cause.Check the hose on the modulator,if it still on,check for vaccuum at the hose with engine running in park.If you are getting vaccuum there,check the modulator for any evidence of dextron coming out of the nipple for the vaccuum hose(a small lenth of string works,or you can just remove the modulator,one bolt with a clip holds it in)and tip it,if dextron leaks out the modulator's diaphram is shot,you need a new modulator.
    Most of the TH350's I had that died usually lose reverse first,slipping at first,then no reverse,followed by no foreward gears a short time later.A hundred other things could cause your problem too,like a clogged filter,water in the fluid(possibly from condensation from sitting,causing valve body or pressure regulator to get rusty and stick),worn clutches,loose valve body bolts--the modulator is the easiest to change and the first thing to check.Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifP.S. Make sure the shift linkage is properly adjusted also!.

3. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it feels like the tranny goes into neutral when you let off the gas in drive,and coasts freely,then feel like it goes back into drive when you give it more throttle,this may be the cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly what it does except when i step back on the throttle I have to give it a lot more throttle to keep it moving.

I will check the things you mentioned. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks

I'm half wishing its toast so I can go ahead and just put a 700R4 in. Suppose thats a whole different thread on the pros and cons of a 700R4. I had an 88 jimmy where I had the thing rebuilt twice and was beginning to give me trouble again so I sold it. I swore I would never own one again. I heard if you can keep your fluid clean and get them built right they will last a long time.