Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission swap - 700R to ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rezalb, May 28, 2000.

1. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I have a 83K5 that I changed the 6.2 clanker diesel to a 1993 model 454 with TBI. My 700R TV cable is giving me heck. I cannot get it dialed in. (I had a TBI shop put a perversion for the TV cable, but I do not have full travel. Yes I pulled the pan to verify the plunger action). So, what transmission can a man change to? My primary purpose is to yank the travel trailer for the family then escape and go offroad...Oh, and of course eat jeeps for dinner...
    I think my transfercase is a 208, I have 3/4 ton suspension and axels in the yard as my next money hole :)

Thanks in advance for any help,

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think the easiest swap would be a 350 turbo . Real easy swap and tough as iron and easy to get . Not sure if it will work with transfer case .

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you have the wrong cable their are different lengths for a 350 motor and the 454 the 454 is longer also only go to a dealer to get Tv cables nothing else works.

4. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I did get the longer cable from the dealer so it would mount to the manifold, already, thanks.
    However, the length of the cable should not effect the travel? Right? Only where you mount to the manifold?

rezlB

Built for a purpose.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I JUST GOT DONE GOING THRU THE WHOLE DEAL WITH "THE SWAP". I WAS DEAD SET ON PUTTING A 350 IN PLACE OF MY 700R4. I PICKED ALOT OF BRAINS ON THIS AND WAS TOLD BY A LOT OF TRANNY PEOPLE THAT IT WAS BEST TO LEAVE THE 700R4 IN PLACE. THE SWAP IS FAIRLY EASY, YOU NEED AN ADAPTER (ADVANCE ADAPTERS), AND YOU NEED TO CUT AN INCH OR SO CUT OFF OF THE TRANNY SHAFT. AFTER TALKING TO PEOPLE I REALIZED IT WAS CHEAPER TO REBUILD THE 700. THE ADAPTER RAN ABOUT 250, THE REBUILD ON THE TRANNY WAS ABOUT 300-400, I DONT HAVE A 350, ABOUT 150 IN THE PAPER,AND THEN ALL THE ACCESSORIES, COOLERS, DIPSTICKS, CONVERTOR, DETENT CABLES......I PAID 550 BUCKS TO HAVE MY TRANNY REBUILT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION.
    JIM

6. jakentn 83k5

jakentn 83k5 Registered Member

I've got a 350ci engine & I went with the th400..alot tuffer than a th350..I've abused the heck out of that thing & it still shifts great...has electric kickdown so no detent cable to adjust...was worth it for me..