Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Swap: 700R4 to SM465 What Do I Need?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JaymzLD, Aug 12, 2003.

1. JaymzLD

JaymzLD Registered Member

I am interested in swapping out my stock 700R4 automatic transmission in my 1986 Blazer that has the 305 in it for a SM465 manual transmission. What am I going to need? I know I need the transmssion, the clutch pedal and probably a new brake pedal, shifter, bellhousing, and a 465 to NP208 adaptor. Is there anything else I am forgeting? About how much can I expect to pay for everything except for the trans? Where can I get some of this stuff? I have never done anything like this so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

id go to the local bone yard and get everything there or find someone that is parting out a truck with one in it also why not get one with the np205?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You'll have to change the input gear on your current 208 to keep it. SM 465 is 10 spline or 32 spline (TH 400 is 32 spline too) 700R4 is 27 spline.

I wouldn't keep it. I'd swap to a 205 like I did.

4. JaymzLD

I didnt even think about that. Is it that much easier to just swap the transfer case with the transmission? If so, I may do that. Is there anything else I should know about doing a swap like this? Thanks again guys

5. JaymzLD

Is the 205 any better or worse than the 208? Or is just that it would be easier than keeping the 208?

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the 205 any better or worse than the 208? Or is just that it would be easier than keeping the 208?

[/ QUOTE ]
    the 205 is a lot stronger and is all gear driven unlike the 208 that is chain driven also the 205 is a part time case so you don't need to do any mods to make it a part time case /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

the 208 that is chain driven also the 205 is a part time case so you don't need to do any mods to make it a part time case /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] The 208 doesn't need any mods either because it is a part time case also.

85k5,3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

You aren't concerned about losing your overdrive?

9. JaymzLD

[ QUOTE ]
    You aren't concerned about losing your overdrive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh... not really. I would rather drive a manual w/o overdrive than an automatic w/ overdrive. Is overdrive that special that I shouldnt switch transmissions? I MUCH rather prefer manuals over automatics so the choice is clear in my mind, I just need some help with it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't feel bad about losing OD. Started out with an '83K5 with 305/Q-jet/700/208/3.08's/31" tires, and now have a conglomeration of years 350/q-jet/465/205/3.42's/33" tires, get 1MPG freeway BETTER, and about the same in the city. Both engines had over 100K on them FWIW, both carbs were rebuilt by me.

Funner to drive (both in power and shifting), more reliable, better crawl ratio, and better economy. Go figure. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep your eyes open for an '85-later truck with manual in it. Grab ALL the hydraulic stuff for it, and if it's 4wd, grab the tranny and t-case.

I wouldn't toss the 208 until it broke, and since you still need a tranny, might as well buy a set. (and have a spare t-case : )

Of course a later 465/205 combo would be nice, but the 208 does have some slight advantages (probably more efficient and has a lower low-range), and if you can find a matched 465/208 set, go for it. Then the 4wd linkage isn't an issue, if you are keeping the truck relatively stock.

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

You will also need a flywheel and clutch assembly to replace your flexplate and torque converter. The brake pedal and clutch pedal come in one assembly. You will need all the linkage with the pedal, including a master cylinder, slave cylinder and the tubing between them for the swap. Or, if you go with a mechanical clutch setup, you will need all the mechanical linkage form the pedal to the clutch fork. Be sure and know what kind of clutch assembly the bellhousing and clutch fork came from (hydraulic or mechanical). The bellhousings and clutch forks on the two are different.

You would definitely be best to find a donor vehicle with everything on it and do a complete swap (pedals, linkages, flywheel to tcase) if you can. That would definitely be the easiest way. Too bad you didn't say sooner. I am converting my K20 to a 700 from a 465. I just sold everything (I mean everything) including the tcase!

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have almost everything you need to do the swap. e-mail me if you are interested.
    Grant

13. JaymzLD

Whats the difference between a hydraulic or mechanical clutch? Is one better than the other? Which came in what years? If I were to go to a local junkyard, would I be able to just take everything from the clutch pedal to the shifter from another truck and have everything bolt in fairly easily? I want to do this by myself (with the help of a couple friends of course), but I have little experience with this kind of stuff so I dont want to get in waaay over my head. I have another car so downtime wont be too much of an issue. Thanks again guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow this ones smart someone give him a prize! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

lol jk /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. dyeager535

Hydraulic clutch is made for your truck. The dimples are in all the right places to make install easy.

Don't like mechanical clutch setups myself, although I do know they can be fine.

'85-up is the hydraulic setup. Wait for it. Believe me, it's worth it in your case.

A hydraulic swap is a no-brainer. Unbolt from donor, drill/cut a few holes, install, done. It will take some time, but it's not complex.

My '81 frame was not setup for the mechanical clutch (apparently this may be somewhat unusual) so I had to drill the spots on the frame for the z-bar bracket, and that was with the body off. Most people apparently have the holes in the frame, but as late as yours is, it MAY not.

With a normal drill, I don't believe I could have drilled the frame for the manual clutch with the body in place.

You don't want a 3-finger clutch either, go with the diaphram. Smoother apply makes driving a lot more enjoyable. I can start my truck moving in 1st (as marked on the shifter) without using an ounce of throttle, and move out smoothly...my dad's with the 3 finger clutch can't.

16. JaymzLD

3-Finger?? Diaphram? I have no idea what you mean by that.

And Bryguy... yeah I dont know everything about trucks and I dont claim to, so I come here for help. So fvck off /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

17. dyeager535

3 finger clutch is I believe rightfully called a borg and beck style. It only has 3 large "fingers" that meet up in the center. A diaphram clutch has many more "fingers" that run into the center. I assume GM used the diaphram style starting at some point, but typically older applications were 3 finger.

A little less "holding power" apparently, but I've experienced no problems with the diaphram style, and vs. the 3 finger/mechanical setup my dad has, mine's better, hands down. (and not just because I own it : )