Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 6, 2001.

How hard would it be to swap out a auto tranny for a manual..

Bad Luck is better than no luck at all

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

its not as hard as most people think just make sure you get all the clutch linkage and clutch and brake pedles off the doner truck oh and you might need the crossmember off the doner truck as well not sure on that

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

2. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Ya also need the steering column if you don't want the bump thingy of the auto column. Just did the swap and on the '84 the crossmembers are the same!

Ron

'84 K5......Tree Fitty, SM465/Np205, D44/14BFF, Pro-jection! .....and of coarse no other color than Odie!

3. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

2 ways to go with manual trans clutch control. Mechanical like all K5's until about 85 when they went to hydraulic control with a slave cylinder. Hydraulic is easier to set up I think.

A good firm grip is my idea of gun control!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Crossmembers are the same to swap a 700R4/NP 208 for a SM 465/NP 205? That's the swap I'm doing. Nobody seems to know for sure.

I am doing this. My friends have done it. One did it in two days before the 4x4 show. I'll tell you how mine went at Christmas time.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. some of the older cross members mount to the frame a little differently. they bolt to the sides and top of the frame as well as the bottom of the frame. but as for the adaptor bolt holes, they look the same. i have a 205 and 208 crossmember in my back yard and they both have the same spacing for the adaptor mounts

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

6. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I have done this swap. I would suggest having a donor truck to look at. The hardest part of the whole operation is swapping in the pedals. Other than that it is pretty easy - all the holes are in the frame for the zbar, however, i did have to redrill the holes for the crossmember as it was out of a 78.

Don't get me started, you know how i get.
    82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust