Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission temp gauge in stock instrument cluster

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greybeard, Aug 4, 2004.

1. greybeard

greybeard Registered Member

I have come across a brand new B&M transmissing temp gauge that I want to install in the spare hole in my stock instrument cluster. You know, the one on the lower left that doesn't have a gauge. I know several people here have done that but my searchs didn't come up with much. How did you guys do it? Any advice or suggestions?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I keep meaning to see if I can do that, maybe even rape a factory coolant gauge so it matches, etc.

As long as you don't have a gauge there, the real challenge is cutting the plastic up to mount the thing. Do you have a Dremel? Anything is possible with a Dremel /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Once mounted, you just wire it up and go. Now, if you used to have a gauge there, you might have to fold the factory "PCB" (the flat plastic thing with the metal strips) out of the way -- insulate it from your new gauge's connections, if that makes sense.

-- A

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Don't know what year your truck is, but 2 1/16 autometers fit like a glove from the front in my 1971 blazer cluster. The 5's fit perfect too. Spedo and tach. Now if I could find a place for that pesky fuel level guage.

4. greybeard

greybeard Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. My K5 is a 91. THere is not a gauge in the hole I was looking at. Cutting up the plastic to get the gauge to fit doesn't seem to be a big deal. Yes, I do have a dremel!! The gauge I have in hand is one of those where you put the gauge in from the front and has a plastic ring that you install from the back, sandwiching the gauge between the dash panel. It would work great in the dash of my CJ but not so much in my K5. I guess I could cut a 2 inch hole in the instrument cluster lens and mount it that way but I really hate to do that. Maybe I can take the lens off the gauge and mount it in the cluster like the factory gauges. I would have to improvise some kind of mount if I go that route.