Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Temp?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Texas76, May 25, 2000.

1. Texas76

Texas76 Registered Member

Does anyone know what the correct operating temp for a T350 tranny should be? Thanks for your help.

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Depends on where you are taking the measurenent !
    For max life the fluid temp should be above about 155 F and only go to 200 F for very short periods of time
    (like towing a heavy load).
    So if you have a way to regulate is set it for 180 F and you'll be good to go.
    And if you don't have a way to regulate it good luck

3. Texas76

Texas76 Registered Member

I am planning on installing a tranny cooler. Are there problems with the tranny cooler keeping it too cool? This will be a "trails only" vehicle, not a daily driver. But, I don't want it to get too cool during the 6 hour drive to the mountains.

4. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I seem to remember reading this somewhere else in the post. If you install a tranny cooler it still needs to go through the radiator. This is to help heat it up when its cold and your engine temp is regulated anyways. I believe it should go through the cooler then the radiator this way it will take a load off of your coolant system and in turn reduce tranny temp. This seems to make sense but its only my 2 cents. Poet and didn't even know it ha.......

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps the k5 alive.

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Don't know, but you bring up a good ?
    Say its 30-40 F outside air, fire up the rig, no long ideal(fuel injection), throw in drive and up to speed in no time
    50-70 MPH, and a lot of cold fresh air over the cooler, and its possilbe to run low ATF Temps.