Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Temperature Gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, Jan 20, 2003.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

What tranny temp gauge should I get ?

I already have a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the pan near the rear for the motormite drain plug that leaks. I am wondering if I can replace the motormite plug with a sender for a gauge. Maybe the sender could just screw out for fluid changes.

Any ideas as to a gauge and sender that would work.

Thanks

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I used an Autometer 2 5/8" gauge. As far as using the drain hole for the sender, I wouldnt because if you bottom the truck out on something it could rip the sender out and could loose all the fluid and toast the trans. I had mine braized into the front of the pan.

3. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

I know what you mean about bottoming out, but it is a mostly highway use vehicle and the exhaust crossover and front drive shaft would be hit before the pan would ever be in harms way. The best place that I could find and be sure of clearance was in this location on the bottom.

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I suppose it might work then, but a couple of things to look at. How much of the sender is gonna stick in towards the trans? Will it hit the valve body? Also, the end of the sender has to be in the fluid so make sure it doesnt stick up out of the fluid or you wont get an acurate reading on the gauge.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I put my drain plug on the bottom but I have the nut welded on the inside. It's a castle nut style so it drains the pan completely but when I dragged it on the rocks it didn't rip, only mangled the edges of the plug.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got the B&M guage kit. The sender goes into the cooling line. There are different schools of thought on this but It'll let me know if there is a problem.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm using the Autometer tranny temp gauge. You can see pics now in my webshots of how it's plumbed into the pan. The gauge came with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch PIPE THREAD fittings. So, you'll easily be able to use the 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of your pan if that's what you choose to do. (Use either the 3/8 or 1/2 inch fitting...I used the 1/4) The sender itself is the 1/4 fitting, and there is a threaded hole in the 3/8 and 1/2 fitting that takes the 1/4 sender. So, if you brazed/tapped/jb-welded one of the bigger fittings into the pan and only screwed in the 1/4 inch sender, you could use it as a drain plug. I kind of wish that's what I would've done. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

When I had my pan tapped for a plug it was at the rear in the middle to keep it away from the exhaust as well. With the right sender you might be able to space it right so it sticks up into the fluid but not into the transmission guts

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my drain plug is on the bottom, but they were wanting to put a sender in the drain hole instead of a plug. I was just concered that with the sender sticking out, there would be more for rocks or whatever to pull on.

10. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

In the new Petersens 4 Wheel mag. there is an article where they connected the temperature gauge to the pressure port on a 700 tranny. Has anybody here tried that.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah if you do a search there was a thread a couple of weeks ago or a month, and some said they used that pressure port.
    I read that article too.

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Where is the best place to hook up a temp guage on a TH350?

13. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That is a very disputed question...and can bring you 5 different answers from 5 different people.
    From all the stuff I've read....I conclude: the best place in any tranny is directly in the pan.

14. Sandman

I guess it depends on what you are after. I wanted to make sure that the cooling system was doing its job, so I put it on the exit side of the external cooler. I've baked many a tranny and got tired of it. At least I know how the cooler is doing.

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i put mine in my pan, but future plans call for a second temp guage that will go into the housing.

Fried tranny's are not my bag. and running 39.5's with a hopped up TH350 isn't the greatest thing in the world. so one more guague to REALLY see how it is doing is fine with me.

16. Sandman

Yeah, you cant be too safe. I've been pounding mine hard for over a year now with no problems but I keep a real close eye on the temp and shut it down when I have too.

17. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Dont need multipul gauges, just multipul senders. Just wire all your senders into one gauge and use a switch to toggle between em if you wana clean things up a bit. Can even run trany temp into a water or oil or what ever. Run temp gauges in the diffs what ever and not have enough gauges to make you look like a prostreeter.

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

guages make sure i don't have to buy new parts. If I have to ask Rita for another tranny or engine (on my 4th and 2nd, respectivly) for future-wife will be my ex-future-wife! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

What is the correct temperature for a transmission?

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I think it's 120-150 but I know it doesn't like to go more than 160 max.