Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission, transfer case leaks?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Oct 15, 2002.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I have a Manual Transmission, on my 4x4. There is transfer case fluid leaking from where the two transfer case housings joint together..
    Has anyone taken the transfercase apart to seal this leak before?
    I think I have a tranny leak... There is fluid EVERYWHERE around the transmission. Where can the transmission leak from? How easy, or can you replace seals or what not to retain the fluid?
    PLEASE HELP.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I have the same leak on my transfer case (208). Easy enough to pull the tail shaft housing and seal it w/ Permatex. As for the manual tranny, shouldn't that be filled w/ gear oil?

John

3. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Yes, there is gear oil in the tranny, but there is also oil all over the out side of the tranny, I think it is tranny oil.
    What would leak from the seal between the tranny and transfer case? Does tranny oil or transfer case oil fill that space?

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Good question. I have an auto tranny. I may showing some ignorance here, but I would suspect that if it is leaking on the tranny side of the seal, it's gear oil, tranny fluid on the t-case side of the seal. What color is the fluid that's leaking? I could't even tell ya if GM manual tranny's use gear oil, but my experience tells me it would. Somebody here has to have some real experience with this, I'm just making an educated (??) guess.

5. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Yes, GM's tranny uses gear oil. There is SO much fluid near the tranny and transfer case, that I do not know what all is leaking?
    Does anyone know if there should be fluid between the tranny and transfer case, in the adapter area?????
    I KNOW the transfer case is leaking between the case halves, and need to fix that, but would like to fix the tranny ans other leaks while the transfer case is lowered. It is a pain in the A#$ to remove and replace the transfer case when ever I need to do something.
    Is there a seal on the input shaft of the tranny that could leak? Or what about the plates onthe side of the tranny?
    I am sure wanting to fix these leaks before winter hits, I knowit is getting sold as heck out there.
    Ed

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Both mine use gear oil (465/205) but I'm having a problem that is attributed to the seal between the two failing.

I went to check the fluid in the t-case, and gear oil started spewing out of the check/fill plug, it was WAY overfull. When the seal between the halves fails, as much fluid as will fit (apparently) ends up in the t-case. Where I'm going with this it that now it leaks fluid out of the front output yoke, and is flinging it under the truck.

So perhaps this is happening to you? With gear oil in the tranny, and Dexron in the t-case (your combo is 465/208 right?) it should be pretty easy to tell if that is happening if the Dexron looks anything other than dark red.

Not sure on the 465/208 mate up, but the 465/205 have a seal in the adapter itself, whereas the 465/208 has a longer output shaft. Not sure where, if anywhere, there is a seal between the two, but I'm assuming there has to be.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If I recall right, it's been a while, the seal is on the T-case side and the adapter area is filled with the tranny fluid whatever tranny it is.

8. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Do you mean the yoke going to the front OR rear differential?
    Ed

9. dyeager535

Yoke to the front diff.

I *think* my rear one is starting to leak a little bit as well, but I'm gonna swap tranny and t-case when the motor comes out anyway.

10. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

If i disconnect the front drive shaft, will the transfer case output yoke turn? If it does not turn, would this prevent oil from splashing, and give me an idea to what is the problem?
    Ed

11. dyeager535

Mine still turns. I'd bet you could strap it up to keep it from turning though. (Again, I've got a 205, not sure if 208's have as much "drag" that will cause it to still turn)

Mine still gathers a bit of oil (a small drop) at the bottom of the yoke when it sits, so I know some of its coming from there.

Easiest way to look for leaks is to clean the area off thoroughly, and check constantly for signs of leakage.

12. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

i got the same deal with mine 700r4 w/208 t-case, I think its the seal between the case and tranny, never pulled one b4, I was thinking of ordering a bowtie overdrive tranny any feedback on these??? where can you get the seals to replace the bad ones on the t-case, and front output seal, and can it be done in a weekend in the back yard???? or should I try one of the chain stores around town???? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif