Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission Venting Problem?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, Apr 10, 2004.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt a Turbo 350 and put it in my vehicle and the vent tube won't breath either way. IN or OUT. The fluid wants to boil over at the dipstick top when it's hot. If you have any info. or help I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

Brenton

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

1st thing to do is pull that stupid little vent tube out and see if it is just that that is plugged. If it is then you are good. I used a 1/8-27NPT tap right in the whole and put a brass barb fitting in there to run a longer vent hose (which anyone with an auto should do if they take it off road and might see mud). If it is cloged up inside the trans you have 2 options.

1) Use compressed air or something to dislodge the obstruction. The bad thing is now you have all that curd (that you should have cleaned out when you had the tranny appart) floating around in the tranny. I would want to flush the fluid and put a new filter in there sometime soon.

2) Take the damn thing back out, tear it appart, and fix the problem.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off, be careful man, when mine was doing that it caught the tranny fluid on fire spewing out onto the header.... twice. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hope you got your fire extinguisher close by while your driving. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    First time it took 2 extinguishers to put it out.

Test it and make sure your tranny really isn't venting.. blow some compressed air down the dipstick... and listen.. maybe get someone to feel the vent on the top of the tranny and see if it is venting...
    If it isn't venting watch out tranny fluid will come spewing outta the dipstick. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...now you're gonna love me.. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    when i rebuilt my th350 i did the same damn thing..
    it turns out i got the gasket on the front oil pump backwards. you probably did the same.. somehow all the other passages lined up so the tranny worked fine, the only passage the gasket plugged was the vent line.
    Thinking back now instead of dropping the tranny out, pulling off the front pump gasket and putting on a new one.. if you get something flexible, maybe some wire... and stuff it up through that vent maybe 12" or so... you could probably puncture the gasket enough so it will vent for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Good luck.. and let us know what you find. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Maybe I should have mentioned that the reason I put the longer vent line on was because mine burst into flames too because of ATF on the headers /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. I poked through it with some wire. It vents now. Thanks a million.

Brenton

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I bet Ryan's answer was worth the cost of membership /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Consider the rest of the tech you get as free /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Woooo hooooo! Thats what i like to hear!
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif