Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission whine - HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 19, 2001.

Hey all, I just had the truck in the shop and had the transmission serviced (fluid/filter). It’s an ’88K5/350 TBI/TH700-R4. It's been a few weeks and now it started making a very slight whining noise, kind of like what a power steering pump makes when it's low on fluid, but nowhere near as loud. I checked the tranny fluid and it's definitely overfilled. Would this cause the whining noise I’m hearing, and could this have caused any damage? I’m going to dump the excess fluid in the morning, but I’m concerned that this overfilling may have messed something up. Thanks!

1. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

feel lucky... mine is goin in tomorrow for a new 700r-4... hope yours isnt as screwed as mine is... as far as you question though... i dont know... ttyl...

Black and red 85, 315hp 350 ft/lb 350 cid, 700r-4, eaton posi, 3.73 gears,32" bald michelins, warn hubs, kickin country music steeo system, ALSO 86 k5

2. slider79blazer

slider79blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the whining but overfilling will blow seals and o-rings out if it's to full.

<font color=blue>whats a 4 letter word for farm wagon?-- ford</font color=blue> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/slider79blazer>http://community.webshots.com/user/slider79blazer</a>

3. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Mine started whinnin thoght it was nothin. Thought wrong! Lasted a couple hundred miles and BYE BYE! Take it back to whoever overfilled it and make them fix it!

4. Update: I called the shop and get this – I was told the mechanic filled the transmission to the full mark with the tranny COLD! Said he always does this because he’s seen “lot’s of problems” with people “going up hills and all the fluid drains to the back of the pan” causing the tranny to run dry…. Needless to say, I’m taking it back in tomorrow morning to discuss the situation. I just hope it didn’t get trashed!