Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission wont shift, truck turns off when i stop, please help me.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Nov 6, 2002.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

ok, my jimmy had the tranny re-built less than a year ago, and it already feels like i blew it out. i have stock tires, stock ears and a stock engine. the trannsmission trys very hard to shift into second, then the same into third. somtimes i have to floor it up to 35 to get into second. then this morning, it started not to respond to my thriottle. i was at 25, after it had shifted out of first. i was going up a hil. it started making a grining noise and it would not speed up or anything. when igot to the top of the hill, i stoped and the truck died. can anyone help me with this problem? i am clueless.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Is it a 700r4?

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I am not familiar with the 700R4s but It sounds like the vacuum line to the tranny is disconnected.

Good luck.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like it puked a torque converter. Only way the tranny could stall the truck is if the tranny had a locked converter.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is what I wanted to know, because the Vaccum is what was unhooked on mine and it did the same.
    As for the engine dying, it could be TC but I think that it also could be the vaccum leak.
    Or what happened to me this week end, low fluid level, I topped it off and the engine ran great, I guess the low tranny fluid makes the TC lock up or something.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

700's do not have a vac connection. Thats a TH350 thing. 700's make all their readings off a TV cable. It's srot of a throttle position sensor for the transmission.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I have the 350 and the 400, I didn't say if it's the 700 it would be the vaccum, but thanks for making it clear if that is what you get from my response.
    I would look at the fluid level and the TV cable adjustment.

8. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

sorry, yes it is a crappy 700R4. i thought i had mentioned that, but i did not. my bad.