Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission wont switch out of first gear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Piranha300, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Piranha300

Piranha300 Registered Member

What would cause this? How much $ to fix? Any input would be great. Thanks

2. Dip Stick

Dip Stick Registered Member

What kind of transmission do you have? Not real sure on what could be the problem cause i dont know when GM went to the 4L60E.

<font color=red> It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it</font color=red>
    1986 K20 & Lots of Rust

3. Piranha300

Piranha300 Registered Member

Its on my friends 87 Silverado pickup. It looks to be the same as the tranny on my 91 k5.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My truck had a similar problem. It would only shift out of first if I floored it, and it wouldn't shift until I hit about 4K rpm's. (guessing, but very high). The first time I had my tranny rebuilt it cost $1100, and the second time it was $950. That is worst case scenario. That is a total rebuild w/R&amp;R. It could be something really easy, dirty valve body, screwed up linkage, etc.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. Jimmy84

Jimmy84 Registered Member

does it shift into reverse, neutral, park, and first? if so then its probably ur governor. it happen to my truck and cost me about 20 bucks to fix. just pull out ur governor and take it to a transmission shop and they should be able to put a new gear on it.good luck

6. Dip Stick

Dip Stick Registered Member

My truck is at the tranny shop now cause it wouldn't [censored] out of first after they just rebuilt it. And the tranny guys says my motor is knockin now so looks like i am in for some money huntin. im gonna go look at it tomarrow and see whats up.....probly is the governer....it shifted fine until i open it up all the way...well see

<font color=red> It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it</font color=red>
    1986 K20 & Lots of Rust

7. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

something to check first would be your vaccum lines and modulator

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm>www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm</a>

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Governor or intermediate clutch (i think). My TH350 had no upshift because the governor flew apart. It wouldn't be a modulator because you have and overdrive transmission and they don't have one.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>