Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by cegusman, Mar 5, 2002.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What auto trans will hold up behind the 6.2.

2. marcus

marcus Registered Member

my bazer has a 700r4, its a great tranny, alhtough it needs a rebuild. I have been told the th400 is the toughest tranny, and I do have one sitting in my lockup, but I want to stay with the 700 because of the overdrive. I drive quite a few long trips, and sitting on the highway at 75mph for hours with no overdrive would be no good for the engine...

A good rebuilt 700 should last behind a 6.2 no problem...

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Ditto on what Marcus said.

If you get a used 700R4, get one out of an '89 or newer truck, they're the strongest. Also, the diesel trannies have a different governor and torque converter than gassers. However, I've been using a gasser 700 in my '81 behind a 6.2L for about six years now, doing lots of heavy towing and such, and it's never given me a bit of a problem. My tranny came out of a '90 pickup truck.

The TH400 is an excellent tranny. Very strong, just a three-speed though. A TH350 would probably work as well, but if you're going to install a three-speed, I'd go with the 400 for strength. The 350 is a lighter-duty tranny.

The 4L80E is also an excellent tranny, probably the best. It's an overdrive. However, you have to use an aftermarket computer to control it. High dollar stuff.

The 4L60E is just an electronic version of the the 700R4, no advantage there.

Hope this helps.

Casey

4. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

my 6.2 Has a rebuilt 700r4 and a rebuilt np208 t-case, they blew at 154000 miles, my auto locking hubs didnt unlock fully, so now i have manuals, the only thing is that where the tranny and t-case conect there is only 4 bolts and the metal is aluminum where the thread is, since i did alot of wheeling the bolts started to strip the threads, so im going to put in steel inserts so the bolts connect to steel not aluminum

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thanks everyone,