Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transmission

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wt700, Aug 23, 2000.

1. wt700

wt700 Newbie

my transmission which was rebuilt about 10 months ago seems that when i put my foot on the gas it there is a delayed reaction to when it shift into 2nd and 3rd. if anyone knows what kinda problem it is any help would be great. also how easy would the work be to do at home i dont have air tools but i have about everything else.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What kind of transmission is it? The spring rate on the valve body controls shifting, to an extent.

3. wt700

wt700 Newbie

its the automatic 700r4 or whatever its called and its an 88 blazer

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Have you changed the filter?these trannys shift hydralically so it sthe fluid pressure that shifts it .also once it does shift does it shift hard?

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Here's how you start
    1) check the fluid level and correct it if necessary.
    2) if the fluid is dark or has any stuff in it (from step #1), drain and fill the tranny or better yet, have a shop do a flush.
    3) Make sure that the TV cable is adjusted properly.

This is all stuff that needs to be done every so often anyway. If it still doesn't work after that, you probably have internal problems. I'm not clear from your message whether you are talking about delayed downshifts or upshifts. On the upshifts, they should be delayed when you juice it, so I assume that you are talking about delayed downshifts. If the stuff above doesn't take care of it, it could be a bad TV down pressure regulator valve or maybe a bad governor. It doesn't sound like a clutch, band or servo since it happens in both 2nd and 3rd.

Did you get a warranty on your rebuild? It is very common for trannies to have to go back to the shop in less than a year for minor problems that develop. Most shops will give you a diagnosis/estimate for free, but it's good to get an opinion from a couple of places.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700