Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transmission

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BPCRJ, Nov 22, 2000.

1. BPCRJ

BPCRJ Registered Member

auto vs. standard what are the benifits ond which one is more functional for a strickly off road blazer

2. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Of all the sticks that I ever had, and all of the autos I ever had, I would choose an auto!

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Strickly off-road, I would go for the stick. Lower gearing wins hands-down. You can pull-start if needed. The big down for a stick is no OD and having to keep switching gears, but offroad switching gears is part of the fun and you don't need OD.
    Plus, a SM465 will last friggin' forever. Just get a lifetime clutch from Autozone and they will warranty it out when you eventually have to replace it - a one-time purchase!
    -- Mike

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've driven both and I prefer an auto when fourwheeling. I think it's alot easier to drive and you have better control when negotiating tough obstacles.....have you ever seen a guy driving a manual truck stall on a steep, rutted hill and try to keep one foot on the brake, one on the clutch, restart the engine, and then take off again...which requires giving it some gas but you already have your feet occupied with the clutch and brake...........
    The only real advantage to manuals is that you can push start the truck if the starter quits and you can have better compression braking going down hills in most cases (my diesel powered, automatic trans Blazer has just as much compression braking as most manual transmission equipped vehicles).
    In general, it's mostly comes down to personal preference.