Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transplant time!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Nov 26, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Driving home yesterday it started to make a lot of noise then bang.... My oil pressure dissapeared. Nice hole in the pan. Oh well. Time for a 350. Guess I'll have to change my profile . Knew I had some lifter noise, but didn't feel like putting the effort into the 3 horsepower 305. Talked to the chevy guy today about ordering a 350. Anyone got some suggestions for a good street/ trail engine package?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Build it to match what you use it the most for. If its daily driven and needs to be smogged, go for high torque numbers rather than horsepower and reuse most of your 305 accesories. Building it like you were going to tow with it can help build in longevity as well as small vavle heads which can provide good fuel mileage. Larger valve heads while they can build higher hp/tq figures at higher rpm tend to provide less hp/tq in the lower rpms, where you'll use it. A max of 9.5:1 compression ratio would do you well too. Now if you tend to run in the 4000-5500 rpms a lot, then building it a bit more extreme with a higher flow might be better for you.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">It's all in the cam and heads. Pick a cam with high lift and a short duration. This will build tons of low-end power while still remaining smooth and reliable. Port and polish your heads or pony up for some Vortecs. A compression ratio of around 9.5:1 is suitable. Find a worn-out 350 for cheap (not hard to do) and have it built to your specs. Since you will be re-using the block, crank and rods, it will be cheaper than a crate motor

Also, EFI is your freind /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. georgiared84

I'm not palnning on using much from the old engine. I've got a friend who wants it, so I'm going to just go with a crate. I need it for work and don't have the time to do a rebuild right now. I've got a block sitting in the garage but I was planning to use that for my 83 shortbed. Just wondering if anyone has bought a gm crate recently and could let me know the package they got. I plan to use all the external stuff except for water/ oil pumps etc... I am going for an edlebrock carb this time. The quadrajet never really gave me any trouble, it's just old and needs a rebuild. I'll probably just sit it with the block for the shortbed. I've seen a couple other links here about engines. Anyone got a favorite 350 good for traveling distances then doing some mild to moderate trail stuff?
    Yes, this is my daily driver. Good thing I work with my wife. Carpooling helps.

5. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

5........0.........2........crate.......motor...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

You can go to scoggins dickey (i forgot the website) but they have TONS of engines to choose from. From stock 350's to ramjet 350's. You can always just get a 350hp 350. That would do real good. Or you can just find yourself an old block for cheap and build yourself a nicely powered 350

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

8. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i got the 330hp gm 350ho. its a nice engine, sure blows the heck out of the stock 305. i dont have the right gears in it righ now, its not that bad but not great off road. it really opens up at about 2500 rpms...but my intake is sort of high, i mean a solid inch taller than stock, i might swap it for a low rise eventually to get a little more low end torque.
    but it comes with vortec heads, i got the deluxe version for 3 grand, i think its a little more now, but it came complete from oil pan to carb, just pull the old out, slap it in and go.
    check around before you buy, one of my friends got a brand new zz4 off of ebay for under 2 grand, still in the original crate...
    good luck

9. georgiared84

I saw someone else with positive comments about them. When I sold my last truck and got this I still had a few thousand left over. I planned on saving it for major repairs on the blazer when I need them. I searched for good deals on the rear, saved a lot on the trans that's eventually going in, this is one thing I'm going to take the easy road on. I'll put a little extra money into getting one all ready.