Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transplanting My Chevy Into a CJ7

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

Well heres my thought. Since I'm ripping my 350 out (for a 454) and my trans. and t-case are coming out as well for an upgrade I was wondering how hard it would be to install it in like an old CJ7. I figure I can get one for cheap at a junk yard and dish the tub and start a buggy. Anyone ever done this or now how much fabrication would be in volved to stick my 350/TH350/205 in it?

2. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

that is a popular mod, check out some jeep boards.....

3. Saxwonder84

Man those jeep guys are pricks. No one will seem to answer my question. Anybody on here done anything like that. I just was to know if my engine t case and transmission will work.

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, anything will work if you want it to!
    Its easier when you use the entire setup in the CJ. lots of guys try to use a Ford 302 with a GM tranny, with a Jeep t-case. It costs a fortune in adapters, and usually ends up being way too long. If you use the motor, trans and case from the same manu. it eliminates more than half the battle!
    One issue you might want to look at is the strength of the axles you want to use... D30s and D35s arent going to last long behind a 350.

Mike

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeap, just need to solve the motor mount problem.

The "hottest" mod for a Jeep guy is to replace his Jeep powertrain with a 350/700R4/NP231 or 350/700R4/Dana300.

Since the TH350/NP205 setup is significantly shorter you won't run into the rear driveshaft length problems the aforementioned setups have.

6. Saxwonder84

awesome that really exictes me. I really need something I can rag on and barrel into the places I won't take my blazer. And since it will be a swap from one to the other with everything working and no tub on it I'm thinking it will be pretty easy.

7. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Yes, it's very doable, my jeep has a TBI350, sm465, np205 in it, the rear driveshaft is short, but hasn't given any problems. I didn't do the swap, I bought it that way, but could get you some pictures of motormounts and such if you needed.

8. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

a year or 2 ago i helped put a 350/th400 (olds at the time, changed to a chevy) in a 97 TJ. it mounted perfectly, we had to fab up the engine mounts, but were lucky enough that it didnt change the stock tcase location, so the drive shafts didnt have to be changed. it even had enough clearance at the distributor and to clear the radiator. fun setup.. the jeep also had 31s and 4.10s.. would suprise quite a few people at a stoplight.