Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transversely Mounted Shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, May 6, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

May 14, 2002
    Im not excally sure if thats how you spell it, but Im talking about how on a Chevrolet the mount the rear shocks with one painting toward the cab one pointing the other way. As fas as I know this is only to help prevent wheel hop, but does it really help that much compared to just mouing both shocks going reward? Right now I dont get ANY wheel hop(axle warp) at all even with a 4in block and gov-loc. and I would really like to keep it that way.
    Also is there any other benefits to transversely mounted shocks? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    I'll chime in on this one. I asked before, no one put forth any reason GM did this. You look at brand new vehicles, and you will see both shocks on the same side of the axle. Probably not all vehicles, but it is commonly done. Weren't fords always this way?

Perhaps with staggered shocks there is more resistance once wheelhop starts, since the pinion climbs, which starts the "wrap" then once spring pressure overcomes that movement, the pinion snaps back down...with shocks on both sides I guess that would slow down both movements.

However, you'd THINK that since commonly you mash the gas going forward about 100 times more than in reverse, preventing the pinion from climbing in the first place would be all you care about.

If someones got a better explanation, I'm all ears! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif