Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trany cooler idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by S. Burnham, May 20, 2006.

1. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

I know I am not the first one to think of this, but I have not heard of anyone doing it. I was thinking of turning my ac condensor into a trany cooler. Does any one have any input on this. I am concerned about it being to big and robbing to much pressure from the transmission. Has anybody attempted this before?? Or is this a stupid idea?

shayne

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

old hat...

Its been done for years..not saying its the best way,but I have had a few plow trucks with the A/C dissconnected and the condensor used as a tranny cooler..there is plenty of cooling capacity,and the pressures involed in A/C are as great or more than the tranny fluid runs at..it adds a quart or two to the fluid capacity of the tranny..

I'd be careful to clean it out thouroghly first by using brake cleaner and compressed air in both directions..you dont want any freon,old rubber O ring bits,or compressor oil in your tranny..:crazy:

3. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

Working good for me. Even with the 2500 rpm stall on my 700r4 it hasnt got above 150 on the street. It usually hovered between 180 195 on the street and would get up to 215 when I was wheeling. Could of got hotter if I wouldnt of backed off.
    I just went to Evco House of Hose and bought some compression fittings and then some adapters to go to the trans line. It was like $10.

DSC00142.JPG

4. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

cool

thanks, I am going to do it then.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

first install a good gauge. then if to hot install cooler. but dont forget you still need warm fluid to work best. if it never gets warm it will also damage the tranny. like in the cold belt. now his is in the hot southwest.

just keep a eye on it.