Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trany failure

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeababy, Aug 30, 2004.

1. yeababy

yeababy Registered Member

hi all having probs with my trany im running a near stock 88 blazer 350 4x4 with 33s had noticed that gear changes were getting a bit loose recently over the last month or so but now im down to having only 1st 2nd and reverse, have changed the filter and oil just incase this made a difference but no good any one got any ideas for a newbie ps live in north sweden so not as easy as just popping to local garage

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What gears are in your axles? Sounds exactly what mine did when my tranny needed a full on rebuild. A TH350 or TH400 do not like 33" tires and 3.08 gears for very long.

3. yeababy

hi muddy sorry no idea standard i would guess but box is a TH700

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm going to still believe that its time for it to be rebuilt /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. yeababy

thought that might be the vote, how hard are they to do your self was thinking about buying a refurb kit (6yrs mech experience) but have never looked at a TH700 just ordered a manual on one from the states, and prices for a refurb box here in sweden are expensive 17000sek

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You've probably lost a clutch pack or lodged some junk in the valve body.

What was in the pan when you changed the oil and filter?

Just to be sure, pull the governor out and make sure the gear on it is still good.

If so, you're looking a rebuild.

7. yeababy

pan was clean but didnt like colour of oil, smelt a bit burnt /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    thought that might be the vote, how hard are they to do your self was thinking about buying a refurb kit (6yrs mech experience) but have never looked at a TH700 just ordered a manual on one from the states, and prices for a refurb box here in sweden are expensive 17000sek

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you ever rebuilt an auto before? Do you have the special tools that it takes? From what I have seen and heard a th700 is not a good auto to learn on for the first time especially when it is in your daily transportation. I vote to just take it in and have a good shop go through it.

9. Blue85

There might not be a lot of shops familiar with the 700 in Sweden. Even general automatic experience would be useful, though.

10. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i just rebuilt mine.
    you'll need a good set of snapring pliers, and a set of feeler gauges. not that bad.

11. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

You'll probably also need to get a clutch pack compressor tool, cost me $115 USD at the local carquest.

12. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

a 700 is not to bad to rebuild but you are going to need the tool to repalce the teflon rings and a low reverse spring compresor. For the clutch packs you can just use a few large c-clamps that will work. The biggest thing is be very!!! clean the 700 dose not like any dirt at all you every thing must be cleaned a few times and wiped off with a lint free colth if you just take your time it should not be that bad just read the manual a few times first to get to know it a little better

13. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll probably also need to get a clutch pack compressor tool, cost me $115 USD at the local carquest.

[/ QUOTE ]

that part took two guys, 2 big screw drivers and a quick hail mary... and you really gotta be good friends with the other guy /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Blue85

[ QUOTE ]
    a 700 is not to bad to rebuild

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it yourself (I did mine myself), but relatively speaking, it is the most complicated job that there is on these trucks. There are hundreds of parts that have to be carefully cleaned and reassembled just right. Rebuilding the engine is probably easier. Just something to be aware of.

15. yeababy

thanks for all the advice guys, im going to wait untill the manual turns up and read it a few times then ill decide if its a self build or shop job

16. yeababy

still waiting for manual, but surfed a little anyone got opion on a rapter box (they ship worldwide) can get one of these shipped from states for same price as a rebuild job here in sweden.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    still waiting for manual, but surfed a little anyone got opion on a rapter box (they ship worldwide)

[/ QUOTE ]

There were a lot of problems a few years back with these.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    still waiting for manual, but surfed a little anyone got opion on a rapter box (they ship worldwide) can get one of these shipped from states for same price as a rebuild job here in sweden.

[/ QUOTE ]Does Bowtie Overdrives ship world wide? they are far superior.

19. yeababy

cheers have sent them an email to find out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif