Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trany noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wes, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Wes

Wes Registered Member

I have a 1985 K5 Silverado with a built up rebuild 305 motor and stock automatic trany with OD ect. The motor was rebuilt last year and is great but Im getting a lot of wirring noise when Im in gear. In nuteral Its gone. Should I start saving up my money again? What do I have in there and What do you guys think is going on?

Thanks

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Stock tranny, hasn't been rebuilt? Could be the tranny. 85 700R4's have the 7 vane pump. GM went to a 10 vane pump later (88 up) to reduce noise that the 7 vane pump was generating and to increase the life of the pump. They also used hardened vanes in the later years. In gear, pressure from this pump is used to engage clutches, apply bands, servos, etc. In neutral, nothing. Also, the input sprag may be the culprit, bushings worn out, torque convertor, you name it. What color is the fluid?