Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trany shifting problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by primerk5, Mar 23, 2005.

1. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

Well i was sealing gaskets on the engine and took it out for a test run. I got back and parked the truck and let it run hopeing i had solved the problem.

Thinking I had, I moved it back to its parking spot.
    Went to put the truck in reverse and the shifter never clicked when moved it from drive to reverse. And it was still in drive.

Got under the truck pulled linkage apart off tranny and moved it no clicking sounds moves real smooth like. Since it decided to drift onto my mothers blue berry bush i had to move it. So I got my pickup to pull it back Turned out that it still has park and drive(or atleast first)

Did the linkage inside the tranny come apart? Is that possible? I haven't hardly done anything hard with it since I built it last Summer.

Oh ya TH350 tranny. Any Help Greatly apreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like the linkage in the tranny. my guess is the detent spring and the rod to move the valve came off or broke. i don't think it would be the detent gear, but it may be. there are 2 nuts that hold that entire assembly together. one on the outside and one on the inside.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

valve body linkage..

Probably that little "S" shaped link that joins the manual valve in the valve body to the shifter linkage inside the tranny..I've seen them fall out or fail before,one truck I bought with a "blown tranny" had this as its only problem,I pulled the pan,and put another link from a parts tranny,and valve thing back in the vavle body,and did a filter and gasket while I was in there--it worked fine again!:grin: --the guy who owned before me liked to shift it manually all the time,probably wore it out!

The shifter will likely "feel" sloppy or wierd compared to normal if this happens--the truck I had you could tell it was disconnected,it just didnt feel right..:crazy:

4. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

The th 350 trannies have a problem with the detent spring breaking. All it takes to fix is drop the trans pan and there is strip of metal that has a roller on the end (the detent spring). It is held in with one bolt. Change it put the pan back on and fill it up with ATF.

bigred81

5. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

well i droped the pan. And it turned out that the inside nut had backed off and the s shaped rod had fallen out on top of the filter. put it back together and its doing great..

thanks for the info