Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

whats the best trany, a 350, 400 or a 700?????

high

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What are you going to use your truck for? How much do you have to spend? We need a bit more info..................

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

400 is stronger than a 350, but the 700 is kind of in a different catagory since it has an overdrive. More info would help though.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In stock form the 400 is by far the strongest (used behind Big Blocks mostly) but is the least efficient (not usually a big concern behind Big Blocks though), the 350 has a deeper first gear than the 400 but not as deep as the 700. The 700 is the weakest of the bunch. After a complete rebuild with updates, the local tranny guy says he can build a 350 stronger than built 400. This is of course using stronger input and output shafts. He said the case on the 400 is stronger but the internals have some drawbacks when used under extreme conditions. (Extreme being really big motors 500 CID+ and 44"+ tires, not your everyday combination). He also said the 700 can be built pretty stout (contrary to popular opinions), but it will not take as much abuse as a built 350 or built 400. Alot of your choice will be dictated by what you will use the rig for, what it will have for equipment (motor, tires, gears), and what you already have available for a tranny.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

5. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I have sort of the same question. I am thinking about putting a 700 in place of my 350 for the overdrive because I see a lot of freeway miles. Has anyone had experience with the durability of the Jet or B&M buildups of these. Or does anyone else build these up. I don't want to spend that kind of money if it won't hold up to my 400 when I do get out in the mud and snow.

78K5 Cheyenne