Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trasfer case or front end popping???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by antisleepman, Feb 22, 2007.

1. antisleepman

antisleepman Registered Member

Ok, so i'm gonna start off here by tellin you i blew out my first 12 bolt rear end. From what i read, seems to be commin. Well, when i blew it out, i had no other way of gettin it home other than pullin the rear shaft and drivin home in 4hi. I did ruffly 45 for about 15 miles. Along the way though, i noticed if i was crusin, it'd be alright, but if i'd try to accelerate a little bit, i'd get a vibration from hell, and what would sound like ground out gears from either the front end or the transfer case. I'm sure someone else has had this problem. I'm gonna be gettin another blazer to swap the engine trans and transfer case out of the one i have into the other. So if i had the transfer case out of the one i have now, would it be worth crackin it open to see if that's the problem?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's most probably your CV joint at a very bad angle and grinding itself to death, should be easy enough to check.
    When I did that on my crew cab with a D60 front, I drove 70MPH for 50 miles, by the time i go home, it was bouncing and grinding I thought it was all shot, turns out I destroyed my driveshaft ujoints and CV, replaced it and all was well.

By the way mine was stock height and since it was a D60 I didn't think twice about driving normal highway speed.

3. antisleepman

antisleepman Registered Member

hmm....well, i have a 4 inch lift with 35's on the stock running gear. I'll have to check that out when i'm under this weekend. Thanx for the help

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I drove mine (old truck no longer have) for 90 miles like that...4" lift.
    It never would grind, but would pop out of gear above 60 or so like there was too much torque or something. Never had problems with it after I got the rear shaft back in. It was a NP203 running in H-Loc

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

in that case, i'd second the u-joint thing. my truck has done really wierd things when in front-wheel drive on pavement. i bet if you had it in a slip situation, even on a dirt or gravel road you wouldn't have felt these quite as much.