Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trashed NP205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yoshisv, May 7, 2006.

1. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever broke a np205 case? today while wheeling at a local place called cedar forest i hit a mud hole kind of hard in 2 wheel drive, after exiting the hole and letting off the throttle i hear a loud pop and it quit pulling. i first thought the transfer case jumped into neutral, But when i grabed the t-case shifter it was just hanging there. I climbed under neath to find that the np205 was broke in half behind the crossmember:doah: . the only thing holding it up was the drive shafts. does anyone know what could have caused this?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Ummmmmmm.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Is it the actual case that's broken or just the adapter?

I've seen front driveshafts that were too long causing transfer case breakage because they'll bottom out.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I do believe I'd like to see a few pics of this...

Along with the rest of the world.

5. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

It did not break untill i was out of the whole. It is the actual case not the adapter.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

In all seriousness, anything can be broken. Who knows, even if you don't have any binding issues and the transmission mounts are in good shape there may have been some casting issues or who knows what. I sheared a bearing journal off of the detroit in my old 12 bolt on the street. Anything can break at any time.

7. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

You hit a land mine.

8. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I will try to post pics in a day or two. The good thing is i have a spare np205. Is there suppose to be a brace of some sort that goes from the case to the tranny or motor? I know the stock drive line did, But the donor i got the sm465 and np205 out of did not.

9. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bet some of those bolts worked loose and it put just enough strain on your case housing to make it break. I find that I have to check those bolts on my 205 pretty often with hard wheeling.

10. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I have never seen a busted in half 205 but I got a core once where the idler shaft bore on the front of the case was egg shaped bad like a half of hole bigger.It came from a 1ton plow truck,after tearing it down to find NO oil in it I fiqured it would get hot and would expand/bind and just ate into the case.
    Let just say about the only salvagable parts from that case were the rubber plugs and shift rods!
    The NP-205 is a rugged transfer but not unbreakable,I wish I would have taken pictures of damaged 205 stuff over the years to add to Jasons collection!
    Gotta have some pictures of that please.

11. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've broke a 27 sline input(th350) once. Sheared it at the O-ring groove.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Believe me, I'm intimately familiar with drivetrains getting broken. I worked for a while in a heavy-truck transmission shop - one of the tools on my workbench was a garden trowel, for scooping the shrapnel out of manual transmission housings. 1500+ ft/lbs of torque and 80,000+ lbs of resistance create quite a bit of mechanical carnage when they're not in harmony with each other...

I know anything can be broken. There's a saying in the Corps: Give a Lance Corporal an anvil and send him out to the field for a week. The anvil's gonna come back broken.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

465/205 adaptors are pretty famous for cracking and breaking. I'd wager it's the adaptor itself and not the case of the 205. The adaptor is so much weaker it'd have to frag before the case even broke a sweat. I cracked a 465/205 adaptor in a mudhole once...got a nasty bounce at the end of the hole and the slightly long front driveshaft did the rest.:doah:

Rene

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I broke my 465/205 adapter bouncing on a hill climb. If the 205 case is broke, then I definitely NEED to see pictures.

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Precisely my thoughts. Which is why I'd like to see pics.

BTW; for anyone wondering, I'm not being confrontational on this. I'd just really like to see a pic or two...

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have seen 1 broken 205 case. Stock truck, case looked like it exploded. It was full of oil too. I wish I had the camera that day.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They break!..

We grenaded a NP205 at the junkyard in a 68 K20 ,with an SM465 ..(the NP205 may or may not have been factory installed,it sure looked it!--had all the right brackets,etc..)...we were using the truck to try and pull the Trojan 1700 forkloader out of a mud hole with a flat tire!..

--But the truck had been badly abused by us,the former owner who was a snowplow contractor,and probably 20 other people before we ever saw it..

You'd be suprised how fast they shatter when those 30+ needle bearings fall into the case,and get wedged between the gears!..:doah: ...we had the 307 screaming at 5000 rpms in granny low,when there was an explosion--we both thought a rod came through the block,but the motor raced up,then idled perfectly---when I saw the rear driveshaft lying on the ground,with half the T-case still attached,and gears attached!--I knew it was the END for that truck!..:eek1: ..lucky for us we also had a 73 IHC 1-ton with a NP202 ? that succedded in moving the loader..we then used the loader to remove the remains of the K20..:rolleyes: