Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trasmission guys, PLEASE check in, need some help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEGALADON, Jul 26, 2005.

1. MEGALADON

MEGALADON 1/2 ton status

I have a 700R-4 trans out of a 91 camaro, My 82 PK has a 350 in it now, I found a output
    shaft after a million years of searching. I called a trans co, and they want $167.00 just to change the rear shaft for my short one... just labor.

I have had a 350 trans front pump out before and I think I pulled the clutch basket out to,
    it was not hard, So my question is how hard would it be to put the shaft in myself??????

I am not new to mechanics, and can pretty much tear apart anything and put it back together, But if I have to go into the valve body, I may just pay to have it done....

I think its just like 2 clips (like C clips) that hold it in??????

I really want an overdrive in my truck.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Valve bodies bolt to the transmission as an assembly, no reason you'd need to get into tearing it apart, even if you did, none of it is complex unless you are STARTING with a pile of parts on the floor. :)

I've done a 2004R, should be fairly similar, (like a 350, 400, etc, some differences, same basic idea) I can't imagine tearing a 700 down to replace the output is *that* difficult, unless you plan on tearing all the drums apart, replacing all the seals, etc. when you get into it.

3. MEGALADON

MEGALADON 1/2 ton status

I don't want to have to tear much apart, just want to replace the shaft, I know the trans is in perfect condition, I drove around for a week with it, then pulled it, it has less than 50k
    on it to..

I was told, to replace the shaft, you have to completely disasemble the whole trans, I just want to see if this is also true??

4. dyeager535

Again, "completely disassemble" depends on how you look at it. You won't have to pull the roll pins out holding the valves and springs in the valve body out, you won't have to disassemble the drums, etc.

You WILL have to take everything in "front" of the output out to get to it. Just like you did the pump, you just keep digging until you get to the bottom of the case. You can't pull the output from the rear of the trans of course. :)

On say the TH400, you have a bolt under the valve body that needs removed, but with no experience tearing a 700 apart, not sure if there is anything like that inside of the 700.

5. MEGALADON

MEGALADON 1/2 ton status

OK, got it, so It will be a simple job, most likely..

I relly don't remember how I pulled the front pump off the last time I change one,

Was there a special tool??

6. dyeager535

Yes there is a pump pulling tool. Last Th350 I pulled apart, I turned the tranny nose down and tapped it on the ground. :)

I've been able to "wiggle" other ones off by grabbing the stator support(?) and rocking it back and forth while pulling outwards.

Wait for someone else that's pulled a 700 apart to comment on how "easy" it's going to be though! There certainly could be steps on the 700 that aren't used on any GM tranny I've dealt with.

7. MEGALADON

MEGALADON 1/2 ton status

LOL, that really how I did it to, but did not want to get flamed for it...

I don't think I would do that now. :haha:

8. dyeager535

If you've got something soft to drop it on, it won't hurt anything that I can see, but at least on the TH350, clutches and steels fall out with it.

My response wasn't quite clear, there really is a pump puller, I just haven't needed one.

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How long do you think it will take you to do it?
    How long does it take to make $167, If your done and it doesn't work you have to take it somwhere else and pay more to have it fixed.
    My .02 pay the $167 and have the peace of mind that you can take it back or have them look at it if it doesn't work.
    I got mine put in for about $70 so you may wnat to shop around.

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you have gone threw a tranny before, its a piece of cake. you only have to go down to the second planetary.

when i did mine (swap a 2wd shaft for a 4wd shaft) it took me 2 hours.

you have to pull the pan and pull the filter and TCC solenoid
    you have to pull the servo, the governor. once you get the pump out, you need to take i think 3 C clips out, the last on the output shaft being the hardest to get to. just make sure you get everything back together right.

you will need a new pump gasket also. if the tranny has not been run before, you shouldn't need orings.

you MAY need to pull the valve body to get to the pin that holds the band inplace. sometimes ive been able to get it to seat without pulling it, but sometimes im not so lucky. if you have to pull it, just be carefull not to loose any check balls. and put them back where they belong. vasoline holds them back in place good.

also use vasoline on the orings to help them slide in easier without cutting them.

BTW, there is a pump puller, they are the same for a th350 and 700r4. you can sometimes get them on ebay for like $40. they are VERY nice to have.